Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
hunting with the big .50? >

hunting with the big .50?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

hunting with the big .50?

Old 01-07-2002, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: hunting with the big .50?

On the other hand most states allow big game hunting with a .22 centerfire which most knowledgeable hunters deem inadequate. I can't advocate extreme distance shooting with any cartridge, but I don't think the .50BMG should be restricted. I am sure one could develop an acceptable load for taking game within reasonable distances with minimal meat damage.
Old 01-07-2002, 10:23 AM
Fork Horn

Why would anyone want to tote a 35 lb sniper rifle into the field to shoot game at "reasonable" distances? The sole purpose for this type of rifle is extreme long range shooting, not taking game at reasonable distances.

I would agree that the .22 centerfires are not suitable for any type of big game hunting.

Edited by - RuRu12 on 01/07/2002 11:33:09
Old 01-07-2002, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Why does anyone want to shoot at game with a bow, or a muzzleloader? Why bother with slugs from a shotgun? Diversity. If I want to carry a 35lb sniper rifle hunting, then I should be able to do so, just like if I desire to shoot a deer with a 700 Nitro I should be free to do so. If I want to shoot gophers with a 300 Win Mag then I should be free to do so. Are you starting to get the picture now? It's a matter of personal preference.
Old 01-07-2002, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree Friz...As long as no laws are broken then a person has a right to do whatever they want! Thank god for personal freedom.

All I was doing earlier was disagreeing with other's personal preference. Those "discussions" are what makes this board so fun! Some take things too seriously in here.

Somehow we've gone from 50 ballistics to the Bill of Rights. LOL
Let's all smile, have a beer [] [] [], and let this topic die like a lead baloon. LOL

Old 01-07-2002, 11:40 AM
Fork Horn

friz - Most people that hunt deer with slugs from a shotgun are mandated to do so for safety reasons. Humn. . . A restriction placed on firearms based on their suitability for field use. How Un-American! I think all the people in Ohio should be allowed to use whatever high-powered rifle they choose. Damn the consequences!! After all this is America.
Old 01-07-2002, 11:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

You're damn right it's America. Who define suitability? You? The government? I am not advocating the use of highpowered rifles in highly populated areas. Been to Montana or west Texas lately?
Old 01-07-2002, 11:59 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-07-2002, 12:26 PM
Fork Horn

friz - I hunt western Wyoming every year, and even though it is big country I would really hate the idea of some yahoo sitting 1000 yards away from me taking pot shots at the bull or buck I'm stalking. Shooting like this isn't hunting, it isn't ethical, and it shouldn't be legal. A friend of mine had to finish a bull last year that some idiot had wounded while shooting his .300 UM off the top of his motorhome. He was 800 yards away from the bull. When my friend confronted him – with the bull in the back of his pickup – all the guy could say was “I don’t usually have any trouble killing em that far”. In my opinion these are the types of individuals that would hunt with a .50 BMG. They would either have to be lazy slobs or harboring some type of sniper fantasies.

And yes the government and its game agencies do define suitability of weapons used for the taking of game. They do it in every season in every state.
Old 01-07-2002, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

You are missing what I am saying. I said reasonable range. To me that is max 500 yards. We should be able to regulate ourselves and keep the damn government out of it. Next thing you know we will all have to hunt with shotgun slugs. I realize there are idiots out there, but you are trying to throw everyone in the same barrel.
Old 01-07-2002, 12:55 PM

I got into this same fight on the accurate reloading forums and that is pretty much the reason I quit going there. One guy there had a site, I'll try to find it, with a guy who shot elk and antelope at ranges of like 1000 yards. He would drive around until he found the animal, set up his bench and take the shot. Some of his pictures he was in the road, you could see his pickup in the background. To me, no matter how much skill you have shooting at long range(400 yards +) is stupid. In my life I have taken one shot at a deer around 400 yards and I missed. it was a big, 170 class mulie. I had a good rest and everything was okay, but I just missed. Now being a few years older I wouldn't have even tried it. There is just too much risk. I would have came back the next weekend and got him, instead I spooked him out of the country till the season was over. One fall a buddy of mine got to shot an elk that another doofus had already wounded. He was shooting at the elk from 3 ridges over. The distance had to have been pushing 600 yards. Lucky for us we found the elk and shot him at like 30 yards.

Quick Reply: hunting with the big .50?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.