Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
gun cleaning >

gun cleaning

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

gun cleaning

Old 02-26-2011, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default gun cleaning

Do you use the copper wire brush before the patch?
Old 02-26-2011, 09:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Before, after & in between, as long as fouling in still present.

Be sure to use a good copper solvent also.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

clean it like your going to go to prison if it ant clean. Clean is good, almoust clean ant. I clean ever every shot be it one, if it will sit for some time I lube the **** out of it and run th barrel with a dry batch to dry it out.

Normally I soak a brass in cleaner run it down 2-4 times, add more cleaner, and repeat, I then run some dry patchs through and check to make sure it is clean, if not I start over, then oil and run a dry patch through. A gun can never be to clean, and as long as oil ant running out it is not over oiled expect maybe the barrel, when I went to the indoor range my shoots were all over for the first mag, then the tightened up, I did not run the dry patch before shooting since I had left oil it in,
and like sheriden said it has to dissolve copper to work, I like the stuff walmart sells cheap and it works, funny dumb thing is when we first got into guns I tossed a big bottle of solvent because it had copper in it, I figured I did not want it in the gun scratching the barrel and tossed it, at the time I had no idea it came form the cleaning, LOl I guess that is what you do when you 90% self taught
Old 02-27-2011, 04:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys thats the way i've doing it for the last 35 years. I was talking to a guy at the range ty\he other day and he tells me he never uses a brush,just a patch with solvent.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jerry d
Thanks guys thats the way i've doing it for the last 35 years. I was talking to a guy at the range ty\he other day and he tells me he never uses a brush,just a patch with solvent.
I won't say I never use a brush, but I very seldom use one. I have fallen in love with the Wipe Out brushless bore cleaner, so I normally use that and only use a brush if it's really bad.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cleaning is important for long term storage. But every gun is different. Out of a clean barrel in my main hunting rifle, my first shot has a different point if impact than my second and third. In my Husky I can get away with lots of shots before groups open up. When hunting season winds down it get cleaned to a brilliant shine, When the season opens and right through to the end it has residue I leave it like that. It's a Husky Swedish Iron Ore is second to none in the World a little non corrosive primer powder and fouling residue in the barrel ain't gonna do damage to this steel. As a hunter first and foremost, not a target shooter, doing this is better suited for me.But yeah when cleaning for long term storage, I do use the wire brush lots when cleaning.

Last edited by Jeff Ovington; 02-27-2011 at 12:05 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

I will leave it alittle dirty, say if fire it a few times over a week and clean it, if I am leaving it for more then a week or two I clean it, I left my muzzleloader with 777 powder for nearly a year, shot it, thought it made it about 50 yards the gun was fine.
Originally Posted by Jeff Ovington
Cleaning is important for long term storage. But every gun is different. Out of a clean barrel in my main hunting rifle, my first shot has a different point if impact than my second and third. In my Husky I can get away with lots of shots before groups open up. When hunting season winds down it get cleaned to a brilliant shine, When the season opens and right through to the end it has residue I leave it like that. It's a Husky Swedish Iron Ore is second to none in the World a little non corrosive primer powder and fouling residue in the barrel ain't gonna do damage to this steel. As a hunter first and foremost, not a target shooter, doing this is better suited for me.But yeah when cleaning for long term storage, I do use the wire brush lots when cleaning.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I generally use a patch first and let it soak awhile.Then I'll run through a couple dry ones.Another wet/soak followed by a patch around a brush.From there it depends on the results.