Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
did I go about this correctly >

did I go about this correctly

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

did I go about this correctly

Old 02-25-2011, 06:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default did I go about this correctly

I got pulled over today by a indiana trooper . Not really a reason just I was doing 50 in a 30 OPPS, first thought was dam there went my clean record
Second thought as I pulled my wallet out is ohh my glock is not on my belt, (it was on the back seat) I had been told a gun at a car lot was a no no so set it on the seat covered it and locked it up.
The cop walks up asked for license and registration(did not have it) I handed him my license and went ahead and pulled and handed him my nice pink liceanse to carry, he nicely and calmly asked if I was carrying and where my gun was, I said yes sir my gun is on my back seat loaded, he said ok handed my permit back and went to the cop car.
I was figuring for a please step out with your hands were I can see them, nope he came back handed me my license and said PLEASE slow down and have a good day

No ticket, no is your gun legal, just have a good day.
Odd with 20 ovrr I am sure he could have cost me 150+ and then a jump in my insurance
I told my dad I was going to buy a lotto ticket.

SO did I handle it right, or should I have said not to alarm you but I am carrying a handgun.

When I got home a local cop came to our house cause I left my keys in the door and the neigbor called, and we got talking and I asked him, he said I did ok, normally they like it when you say not to alarm you but I am carrying a handgun, where some folks just say I have a gun

DOes anyone know if indiana says you must tell them, do or would you if it was not the law
Old 02-25-2011, 06:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would say you did right. But again, if you were legally carrying there really isn't a need to let him know. Hell, he was carrying and didn't tell you did he?
The fact of the matter is that you may not have been legal with the pistol on the seat and not on your person. But you were polite and offered no resistance or argument and that means a lot.
A few years ago I blew by a trooper faster then I should have and when I looked at him he nodded. When I looked in my rearview he pulled out and was coming my way. I didn't even wait for his lights to come on and pulled over. He thanked me for not having to chase me as I handed him my license, reg, and proof of ins. He went to his cruiser and came back, handed me my papers and a warning and I was back on my way to a pheasant hunt.

Last edited by bronko22000; 02-25-2011 at 06:15 PM.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Don't ask, don't tell.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

In your case, with the gun on your back seat covered up instead of concealed in a holster on your body I think you did the right thing.

With that said what the heck does a car lot have to do with carrying concealed?

I don't know about Indiana but Florida does not require you to inform the officer. If I am carrying, I always am, I do not volunteer the information of that fact unless they ask. If they see my CWP and ask if I am carrying then I will tell them "of course".
Old 02-25-2011, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
I would say you did right. But again, if you were legally carrying there really isn't a need to let him know.
This actually depends on the state. Some states require you to notify the officer, others don't, but you must present your permit if asked.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Since you're moving to Florida I'll chime in. In Florida you're required to hand the officer your conceiled weapons permit with your other credentials when you have a gun with you. You did it right.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

I knew some states required it my understanding was indiana did not, but better safe then sorry. Thanks big bulls it saved me a pm to ask you about florida.
As for the car lot I was torn, A friend who owns alot and who I bought a car from told me one day while we decisioned guns that a lot owner or employee was banned to carry a firearm on a lot or in the building, he said his understanding was no one could. SO I opted to remove it, lock our truck and go in. More so for the fact we were climping in and out of the trucks, I did not know the people there(all of which at this point I think would not have cared, and I did not want to alarm them since it was OC(legal here)
Still working out everything on carrying, I almost asked the owner, but think next time I will just carry and let them ask me to leave if they feel the need. The reason I left it back there when we left was we were heading up to a bank to get a check for the truck we bought. Can you go in a bank with a gun even with your permit?

My understanding is there is nothing in Indiana's law that say it can not be in your vehicle
Old 02-26-2011, 12:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here in NC we were told in CC class to roll down the window, hand him your license and CC permit, put your hands on the wheel and state that I have a permit to carry and I have it... wherever you have it...

I've always done this with no problem...Funny thing is, just as you found out, with a CC you usually breeze right through license checks, etc...

These guys know "the good guys" are the ones that were given a permit to carry...Remember, you have been finger printed and passed an FBI background check...If you had a pimple on your record, they wouldn't have given you the permit...
Old 02-26-2011, 12:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by jeepkid
Don't ask, don't tell.
That will get your permit revoked...
Old 02-26-2011, 12:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Do not go in a bank carrying...Don't even think about going into a public school or to a ball game or a bar...Also remember there is 0% tolerance for alcohol in your system...If you are going to drink, let the wife drive and lock the pistol in the trunk or take her car...

Also, don't let anyone else drive your car with that pistol concealed, they would be in violation...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.