Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

1911 question

Old 02-21-2011, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default 1911 question

I would like to get a compact 1911 in .45acp for CCW. I really like the Kimber's with a 3" barrel and the Para Warthog/Slim hogs. While looking on gunbroker I came across some ATI Titans with a 3" barrel and some Rock Island pistols with a 3.5" barrel. Anyone have experience with either of these pistols?

If there is enough of a leap in quality and performance between these and the Kimber/Para's I won't even consider them. I know I can trust the reliability/performance of them. However, if either of these two more modestly priced guns have similar reliability/performance, I sure wouldn't mind saving a few bills. Trust is more important than a few dollars saved, though.

Thanks for any input.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I haven't shot mine yet but I just got a new Rock Island Officers model. I did a lot of homework and really like what I heard. Check out this web site and see what you think. I hope I chose right. I'll be shooting mine for the first time this weekend. I'll post pics below. Good luck.

http://forums.1911forum.com/index.php

Old 02-21-2011, 08:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

I can tell you that the ATI 1911's are some pretty damn well made guns. Hand fitted barrel bushings, hand fitted slides, very tight lock up, very nice internal machining, etc... I wouldn't hesitate to purchase one if I were in the market for a 1911.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:00 PM
Fork Horn

The nice thing about a 1911 is that you can make into what you want, but if your not into doing that you will not beat a kimber 1911. The feel of the slide is so precise it's crazy. When you buy it, it will need to be shot in, at a slow fire rate. It's built to very tight tolerances that lower priced 1911 aren't. Plus it has every goodie on it you could want. I had a charles daly built with a match barrel, full lenght guide, ambi safety and extended slide release. It shoot's awesome but for the money spent i could have bought a kimber.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the input thus far. I really like the looks and feel of the ATI, but have not had the chance to shoot one. Don't know anyone that has one so I can't shoot one that belongs to a friend. Very intrigued by them, though. The Titan is one nice looking gun through my eyes. Decisions, decisions.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

No Kimber's for this old fart (esp. the short barreled ones in .45 ACP...feed issues have plagued them for awhile). I just saved extra and longer and got a semi-custom made to my specs. CCW is no place to scrimp or go cheap. BTW, mine is from Fusion Firearms. It's owned by Bob Serva, who used to be the chief at Dan Wesson. They make good weapons at fairly reasonable prices. Check out their website.