Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
finding the right holster >

finding the right holster

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

finding the right holster

Old 02-20-2011, 06:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default finding the right holster

Ok this was easier with my ruger p89dc.

I bought a hip holster for my glock 21, it was way to small and will be going back tomorrow, the shop was closed today. Saturday after realizing this I bought another from gander this time. IT is alittle small but not to much and works, I am finding the way it attachs the the belt to be a issue, it is a uncle micks and has a melt clip that goes over the belt, it seems to come off way to easy and I am worried about either loosing it when walking or pulling it off on a draw. So it is likely going back tomorrow, lets hope 3rd times the charm. Ok I am thinking a slip on belt model this time, alittle more room then the number 5 I have now, and no mag pouch on it, I can not remove it with my left hand and it weighs the holster down to much, likely go with ammo pouch on my left for quick access.

So I am thinking at least trying the fobus holster. This will be a carry holster for my glock 21, any thoughts on that plan.

Also I have yet to find a shoulder rig, with my time in florida(months here in indiana months there) I need one for those warm days.

does anyone know a custom shop that will make me a non leather webbing type holster? Also would it be ok if I took a stock holster and added some webbing to the strap going from the back of my shoulders to each other and maybe a piece to hold it down to the belt. Figure alittle sewing and it would fit me, or is this a bad idea
Old 02-20-2011, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigtim6656
Ok this was easier with my ruger p89dc.

I bought a hip holster for my glock 21, it was way to small and will be going back tomorrow, the shop was closed today. Saturday after realizing this I bought another from gander this time. IT is alittle small but not to much and works, I am finding the way it attachs the the belt to be a issue, it is a uncle micks and has a melt clip that goes over the belt, it seems to come off way to easy and I am worried about either loosing it when walking or pulling it off on a draw. So it is likely going back tomorrow, lets hope 3rd times the charm. Ok I am thinking a slip on belt model this time, alittle more room then the number 5 I have now, and no mag pouch on it, I can not remove it with my left hand and it weighs the holster down to much, likely go with ammo pouch on my left for quick access.

So I am thinking at least trying the fobus holster. This will be a carry holster for my glock 21, any thoughts on that plan.

Also I have yet to find a shoulder rig, with my time in florida(months here in indiana months there) I need one for those warm days.

does anyone know a custom shop that will make me a non leather webbing type holster? Also would it be ok if I took a stock holster and added some webbing to the strap going from the back of my shoulders to each other and maybe a piece to hold it down to the belt. Figure alittle sewing and it would fit me, or is this a bad idea
Not trying to be rude but Fobus and Uncles Mikes holsters are not quality holsters at all. I would not use them anywhere but the range. I personally like Comp-Tac holsters....a simple google search will yield you their website.

I am not too familiar with shoulder holsters, so I will leave that alone. You might try going over to glocktalk(dot)com....lots of ideas and they have a dedicated holster section on their classifieds.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

nothing rude about it, honestly I am alittle less then impressed with the uncle mikes, just what was around. The on I have now is a module for the 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 and for the glock 21, the length is fine but the trigger gaurd does not fit all the way in, something like 75%. I will check out comp tac
Originally Posted by VAhuntr
Not trying to be rude but Fobus and Uncles Mikes holsters are not quality holsters at all. I would not use them anywhere but the range. I personally like Comp-Tac holsters....a simple google search will yield you their website.

I am not too familiar with shoulder holsters, so I will leave that alone. You might try going over to glocktalk(dot)com....lots of ideas and they have a dedicated holster section on their classifieds.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:41 PM
Typical Buck

yep there are a lot of better holsters out there. Try going to somewhere like thefiringline.com and do a search, youll find lots of quality holsters and makers there. I found a pretty good custom holster maker there and had one made for one of my carry 45's that was really nice and not much more than store bought.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

IMO the best choices out there are Comp-Tac as mentioned above and Crossbreed. They are pretty much the go to choices for most guys wanting IWB holsters. They are very similar designs, and seem to be equally liked. That being said, my personal preference is Comp-Tac, but both are good. One nice thing about the Comp-Tac is you can just change the shell on it for other guns. So if you get a new gun later on you can just buy a shell for the new gun and use the same holster to save a little money.