Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Scopes on Marlin lever actions >

Scopes on Marlin lever actions

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Scopes on Marlin lever actions

Old 02-21-2011, 04:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's my opinion about scopes on a Marlin lever. See-thru mounts are not as good as people assume they are. It's hard to acquire a good sight picture with a scope dangling in the way partially blocking the rear sight. By the time you get a good view, you would have done it quicker with a scope. They also raise the scope high enough that you have to lift your cheek from the stock which can hurt accuracy. Since most Marlin lever actions are used on deer sized targets at 200 yards or less, I like a scope with a smaller objective lens and low scope rings. I use a Bushnell Elite 3200 2-7x32mm on my 336SS and you can see a deer at 200 yards after legal shooting hours. Check out the marlinowners.com website for a lot of great info.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Centaur 1
Here's my opinion about scopes on a Marlin lever. See-thru mounts are not as good as people assume they are. It's hard to acquire a good sight picture with a scope dangling in the way partially blocking the rear sight. By the time you get a good view, you would have done it quicker with a scope. They also raise the scope high enough that you have to lift your cheek from the stock which can hurt accuracy. Since most Marlin lever actions are used on deer sized targets at 200 yards or less, I like a scope with a smaller objective lens and low scope rings. I use a Bushnell Elite 3200 2-7x32mm on my 336SS and you can see a deer at 200 yards after legal shooting hours. Check out the marlinowners.com website for a lot of great info.

I actually like the See-Thru mounts. They raise the scope just enough that not only can you use the irons, but it's not too close to the hammer spur anymore.

Just another opinion.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:49 AM
Dominant Buck

On my Marlin 336 I have a 1966 Redfield Acc-Range 3x-9x on it and on my Pre 1964 Win 94 I have a Weaver K3 60-B on it....
Old 02-23-2011, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by elgallo114
I actually like the See-Thru mounts. They raise the scope just enough that not only can you use the irons, but it's not too close to the hammer spur anymore.

Just another opinion.

Just goes to show that there's no right or wrong way, everyone is shaped diferrently and their eyes focus diferrently. I find it very hard to focus on the sights and the target with the see-thru mounts in the way. I always keep my scope on it's lowest setting and I've never had a situation where a deer was too close. If I hadn't got such a great deal on my Bushnell 2-7x32, I probably would have bought a smaller scope in the 1.5-4 range.