Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New toy tonight

Old 02-16-2011, 05:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default New toy tonight

Just picked up a new toy to play with. Got a Taurus Judge, Public Defender. Also got 2 boxes of Winchester PDX1 ammo. I want to see how they perform this weekend. I am going to get some #6 shot and check pattering for snakes and such. And too I think two chambers with #6 first to 'get an attacker's attention' and then the PDX1 if he needs more persuasion.
I was thinking that maybe the .410 slug would be more accurate than the 45LC just because of the long jump from the casing to the forcing cone for the 45 vs the 410 slug. Any opinions? I know it isn't a target pistol but for close in work the slug would be 'good enough'.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

........ I don't have a Judge, but I do own a nasty little SxS handgun in .410/.45 I've had for a good many years. Carry it for snakes in that kind of country. Don't expect too much out of it... it's pretty much of an "up close and personal" weapon. I found that #4 shot gave fair results in mine. Never tried anything in the buckshot size. Heck of a personal defense gun, tho... eyes get real big real quick when people get a look at it.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've got a Judge that was given to me (two years ago) by a close friend. It's probably nothing I would have purchased, but still, it's kinda fun to mess with. If you want awesome "stopping power" look at the 000 buck. The rifled slugs weren't much to brag about, and the "birdshot" scattered all over the place. It does have good ergos for my hand / grip.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well, like I said,I know its not a target handgun. It is going to be solely used as a personal defense handgun and for dispatching snakes and other vermin at close range. I have several other handguns and this one was more of a curosity buy more than anything else. I will be taking it out this weekend and check it out with the Winchester PDX1 .410 ammo. This stuff even looks nasty and the specs on it are impressive. I will report on the ammo and gun this weekend.
One thing I think I can say is if I ever need a weapon to fend off an attacker this would probably be better at getting that first disabilitating shot off faster than either my 40 or 45 acp which would require a little more time for target accquisition. Covering a 2'x2' area from across the room with PDX1 or 000 buck is OK with me.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Covering a 2'x2' area from across the room with PDX1 or 000 buck is OK with me.
That would be ok for everybody on the handle/grip side of that weapon. Everybody on the muzzle side would be seriously NOT OK with it. And that is the beauty of that limited use weapon. I've considered getting one myself. Please do get back to us with your results.

Last edited by 8mm/06; 02-18-2011 at 01:54 AM.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:45 PM
Fork Horn

I've been threatening on getting one of these for two years now. Sooner or later i'll have one. I think it would be great to have around the cabin- for snakes and all.

Somebody told me the other day Smith & Wesson was bringing out their own version of this gun. I do not know if this is true.