Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

I'm stumped--GP100 question--

Old 02-14-2011, 07:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default I'm stumped--GP100 question--

Got the new factory style grips for my GP100 today [ rubber with the wooden inserts] to replace the large black grip it came with--No problem installing the grip, but what is the purpose of the short length of brass or copper rod that's lying in a groove inside the one grip panel? Take out grip screw, remove grip panels, remove the large short pin, install grip, push large pin through until centered, replace panels and install screw--what is the little section of rod for?-----do any of you know why it's there?----
Old 02-14-2011, 08:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

Maybe to put the screw through, between the grips inside the handle, to keep you from over tightening the screw and crushing the grip and splitting the wood.

Got a pic of what you're talking about?
Old 02-15-2011, 03:25 AM
Fork Horn

I'll get a picture posted of it, it's a small recessed groove at the bottom of the cut out for the wood grip panel and the small piece of rod fits neatly in the groove--like it's meant to be stored there, with the panel in place, it's held in the groove. I would think if it was a "tool", intended to help with installation, there would be instructions--I see no use for it, but it's interesting that the recess for it is molded right into the rubber, like they intend for it to stay there--its a mystery---
Old 02-15-2011, 04:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

A picture would be very helpful. I've never had a GP100 apart, but sounds a bit like the pin provided by Ruger to lock the mainspring on a Redhawk for disassembly?
Old 02-15-2011, 07:40 AM
Typical Buck

Balance weight maybe?
Old 02-15-2011, 11:36 AM
Typical Buck

It's the dissassembly pin. Here is a owners manual for you.

http://www.ruger.com/products/_manuals/gp100.pdf

Everything you need to know about your Ruger.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:39 PM
Fork Horn

Thankyou Goat, you are absolutely right--I see it there in the instructions--don't need it for changing the grips, but for take-down, it would be needed-I do think it's pretty cool to keep it under the grip panel, very slick idea--thanks for sending the breakdown, I'll have it now if I need it-----John
Attached Thumbnails I'm stumped--GP100 question---img_2071.jpg   I'm stumped--GP100 question---img_2073.jpg   I'm stumped--GP100 question---img_2072.jpg  
Old 02-15-2011, 08:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

That's cool of Ruger. Didn't know they kept that little pin there. I have always just used a paper clip or small punch to disassemble revolvers.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:35 AM
Fork Horn

I've had several S&W's and it is true, the fit and finish is a slight bit better and the action can be smooth as butter and they shoot well, but don't short change the GP's, they are very well made, super strong and every bit as accurate as a .357 should be, plus, the little touches like the included take down pin and the fact that the front sight is a push button quick release in order to change to a different sight, are well thought out extras not found on other guns. I will definately hang on to this one and possibly supplement it with a model 19 or 686 sometime in the future--Ruger and Smith are both top-of-the-line, completely reliable revolvers and either one is a good choice---John
Old 02-16-2011, 11:58 AM
Typical Buck

I have a Security Six and a Redhawk, the pin is pretty much standard on Roogers. Other than the grip screw no tools required to take one apart.