Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Quick Detach Rings?

Old 02-14-2011, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Quick Detach Rings?

Anyone have experience with quick detach rings? I'm assuming the Leupold QRW rings are pretty high quality. I'm looking to use one of my AR-15's as a switch glass rig with a Nikon Buckmaster 6-18x40mm for coyotes, paper, and P-dogs, and a 3-9x50mm Illuminated Bushnell Banner for calling coyotes at night (Man these lil Banner's are BRIGHT, especially for a budget scope!)

I've never used QD rings, are the weaver style Leupolds any good? I'd like to be able to change back and forth without losing zero.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Leupold does not make a QRW high enough to use on an AR platform unless you either use a riser(s) or your AR has a high rise upper.

Personally I don't like the riser blocks. It's just another link in the system that doesn't need to be there.

I use Warne AR specific rings. They are specifically built at the proper height for AR platforms.

http://www.warnescopemounts.com/maxima_rings.html
Old 02-14-2011, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

On the rifle in question, I'm still using the Bushy 1/2" riser blocks that came with the rifle. I don't mind them for "hunting grade" work.

I'm just hoping to find a set of rings that will reliably come back to the same zero. I've even just thought of using normal tip off rings and a torque wrench, and simply seating the rings forward against the rail grooves for consistency, but I'd prefer something I don't need a tool to replace...Not really "quick detach" if it requires a tool.