Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Hill Country Rifles >

Hill Country Rifles

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Hill Country Rifles

Old 02-10-2011, 11:49 AM
Fork Horn

You can buy a over the counter [otc] remington in just about any caliber you want with a syntheic stock and use premium ammo and shoot a 1 1/2" to 2" group. What ever you shot want know whether it shot a 1/2" group or a 2" group it will still just as dead. You can put that extra money you save on a hunting trip.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Jim Williams
You can buy a over the counter [otc] remington in just about any caliber you want with a syntheic stock and use premium ammo and shoot a 1 1/2" to 2" group. What ever you shot want know whether it shot a 1/2" group or a 2" group it will still just as dead. You can put that extra money you save on a hunting trip.
And that, my friends, is the difference between a "shooter", and a "hunter"...
Old 02-11-2011, 06:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Or you could just go buy a Savage 111, that will shoot every bit as good right out of the box and take the extra $1000+ and go buy a good scope, dies, brass, powder, and bullets.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by schoolcraft
There headquarters are only a few hours from where I live, and after talking to them extensively, I feel pretty confident in their work.

Here's what I've talked about doing.....

I'll take them my left hand Rem. 700 CDL .270 and have them replace the wood stock with a McMillan Remington Sporter with EDGE technology (lighter) add a 24" Hart stainless barrel (also going to change caliber to .280 Rem.) work all their accurizing majic and then Cerekote all the metal for me.

Cost is up to about $2500 for all the work.

What do you folks thing about Hill County's work and their pricing. $2.500 is a chunk, but most other places I've checked were as much if not more.
They guarentee it will shoot 3/4" 3 shot groups (worst case scenario. 1/2" to 2/3" more likely) with factory ammo or they dont ship it out to me.

Opinions?
you could buy a weathrby vanguard and do that for under 500 bucks
my vanguard will do 5 at 3/4" not 3
Old 02-11-2011, 12:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Schoolcraft,

Is the end result to own a rifle that shoots 1/2" MOA ?

Or, do you want to own a customized rifle ?

Would any factory production rifle that shoots 1/2 MOA be fine with you (no matter what it looked like) ?
Old 02-11-2011, 12:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

There's just something about having a custom rifle built just to your specs that NO over the counter rifle can compare to!! Plus, knowing that it WILL be accurate and WILL hit exactly where you aim over and over again...
Old 02-11-2011, 01:40 PM
Fork Horn

Quote:

Exactly....
I like to shoot all year. Getting back into reloading.
Sure I can spend less, but it won't be 100% what I want.

This won't be a splurge that happens again anytime soon, so I really want to do it right.

I'm now thinking Stiller Predator magnum action, Hart stailness fluted barrel made for .300 Win. Mag., Mcmillan stock, and let Hill Country Rifles work their magic to get it under 1/2 MOA with factory ammo.....and then try to shrink that with reloads.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:14 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
The orginal post stated he wanted to Hunt not pop paper. Popping paper is also fun but with a much smaller caliber like 17, 223, 22/250etc. Try shooting all day long at prairie dogs with a 270 or larger. The cost of ammo let alone the recoil would be a big factor for me. Oh, I forgot to mention I do both I hunt and I shoot. Jim
Old 02-11-2011, 02:14 PM
Fork Horn

I'm now thinking Stiller Predator magnum action, Hart stailness fluted barrel made for .300 Win. Mag., Mcmillan stock, and let Hill Country Rifles work their magic to get it under 1/2 MOA with factory ammo.....and then try to shrink that with reloads.
Man, that will be a sweet rig, you have got to post pics once to get it!
Old 02-21-2011, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

The orginal post stated he wanted to Hunt not pop paper. Popping paper is also fun but with a much smaller caliber like 17, 223, 22/250etc. Try shooting all day long at prairie dogs with a 270 or larger. The cost of ammo let alone the recoil would be a big factor for me. Oh, I forgot to mention I do both I hunt and I shoot. Jim
My point was that your position that "whatever you hit want (sic) know the difference in a 1/2" group or a 2" group" only works for hunters that don't SHOOT beyond 2-300yrds.

Like Ridge Runner's pic on Page 2 shows, a 1/2 minute rifle can do things that a 2 minute rifle never could. Nearly 800yrds with a 2 MOA rifle is a 16" group, a 1/2 MOA rifle is 4". Now tell me that a deer won't notice the difference in a lung shot, or a paunch shot? Or tell me a deer won't notice the difference in a lung shot and miss?

Arguing that a 2MOA rifle is just as good as a 1/2MOA rifle is idiotic.