Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Enfield .303 >

Enfield .303

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Enfield .303

Old 02-04-2011, 07:07 AM
Fork Horn

Default Enfield .303

A friend of mine has an Enfield #4 Mk. I that his dad gave to him a while back. It has been used on deer in the last year or two, but unsuccessfully. It would be nice to take it to the range but I'm guessing this rifle has not seen any extended action since the Churchill days. It does seem to be in good condition, but I would really like to avoid a bolt blowing back in my face. Is there anything that should be inspected to make sure the integrity of the gun is sound?
Old 02-04-2011, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lightbulb gunsmith?

If you are concerned about the gun, take it to a gunsmith and have it evaluated. I don't recall anything about Enfields being unsafe, like some of the very late WW2 Mausers.

Last edited by JOE PA; 02-04-2011 at 07:52 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:25 PM
Fork Horn

Enfields are safe and accurate guns if it's in good shape i wouldn't hesatate piping some rounds threw it
Old 02-05-2011, 10:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Fist off, I don't know much about Enfields. But what I do know is that most guns have serial numbers, and the bolt should match the action in number. If it dosen't, I definitely would have the headspace checked by a competent 'smith before I even thought about firing it. It would be a good idea to have that done anyhow, considering the age of the piece.. JMO...