Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

H&R Ultra Slug gun 12gauge

Old 01-14-2011, 10:18 AM
Spike

Default H&R Ultra Slug gun 12gauge

A lot of my buddies are shooting this gun and swear by it for its accuracy...Im considering getting one,,anyone have any feedback or info...????
Old 01-14-2011, 11:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

excellent shotgun, I have one in 20ga which is perfect for deer and deer size game. The 12ga is very heavy..Look into the 20ga. put a good scope on it, I have a Leupold VX-II 3-9x40 on mine
Old 01-14-2011, 11:12 AM
Typical Buck

I was going to get one until the new Savage came out. I got it instead. I dropped one doe at 220 yards and killed another at 175. It is dead on at 200 yards.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:04 PM
Spike

Good info, thx...whats the name and model of the Savage??
Old 01-14-2011, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Savage 220F.......I have one also, topped off with a Leupold VX-II 3-9x40, haven't shot it as of yet
Old 01-14-2011, 04:04 PM
Spike

Great, I will check it out...thx so much for all the feedback...
Old 02-19-2011, 05:37 PM
Spike

Default Go With the 12 Ga.

Three people in my family (including me) own and hunt with the H&R Ultra Slug in 12 Ga. These guns are almost unreal in their accuracy as Slug guns. My son, my brother, and I all went to our local range about 2 weeks before deer season opener this year to sight our guns in. Since all three of us use 3x9 Nikon SlugHunter scopes with the BDC reticule, we sight our guns in at the recommended 50 yds. At 50 yds, all three of our 12 Ga. Ultra Slugs shoot either a single Jagged hole or a clover leaf from a sandbagged bench rest. My gun prefers 3 inch Federal Hydra Shok sabot slugs although it seems to shoot every sabot slug pretty well. My son's Ultra Slug prefers the 2 3/4 inch Winchester Supreme Partitioned Gold Sabot, and my brother shoots the 3 inch Brenneke KO Sabot Slugs best with his Ultra Slug. The three of us hunt 3 different states every year and have had the opportunity to take deer at ranges from 20 yds. to 145 yards this year and I am happy to say that all opportunities were capitalized on! We all usually hunt from tree stands and we each own our own farms in different states.

I would stay away from the 20 Ga. version of the Ultra Slug as there have been too many reported problems with misfires with the 20 Ga. version. If you are going to hunt where you may have the opportunity for longer shots, get and use a good rangefinder. I personally recommend the Nikon Riflehunter 550. I thought I was a good judge of range before I started using one of these. Shoot your gun's favorite slug at different ranges on windy days to see what kind of wind-drift you get. These things will help you make better long range slug shots.

One more thing . . . if you haven't tried the 3x9 Nikon Slug Hunter scope with the BDC reticule yet, I suggest you try it. Once you do, you will want to buy one. It is the clearest, sharpest, and most accurate scope I've ever owned. The aimpoints for 100, 150, and 200 yds all work perfectly once you have sighted your gun in at 50 yds.

Last edited by FreakHorn; 02-19-2011 at 05:42 PM.