HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   A question about the guns used for hunting? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/338233-question-about-guns-used-hunting.html)

Elsiey 01-12-2011 06:59 PM

A question about the guns used for hunting?

Hello. I know nothing about guns or hunting so please, if the answer to this question is blindingly obvious, don't laugh!

I recently saw a video of some big game hunting in southern Africa. The hunter was using a rifle to hunt buffalo and elephant, but the gun actually looked like a double-barrel shotgun with massive bullets (.600 or .700 I think they were called?).

aaalaska 01-12-2011 07:32 PM

Not sure what the question is, but yes the early hunters in Africa found the large slugs were effective against even the bulk of an elephant, they used things like the 4 ga , a 1/4 lb slug is large.And most either recommend or require the use of guns in large cal .375 or larger.most of the double guns like those made by Holland & Holland are worth more than most cars & some more than a family home.
Alex

Sheridan 01-12-2011 08:09 PM

Double barrel rifle, larger caliber...............you were right !

salukipv1 01-12-2011 08:51 PM

double rifle, pretty awesome if you can afford one.

I think many range from 15k-150k in price.

I think a cheap one could be built/had for 10-15k perhaps

there's a dvd out there....nitroexpress safaris I think it's called the guy uses a 600 Nitro Express, 600NE which shoots 900 grain bullets!

the most popular doubles are the .470 NE and .500 NE probably which shoot 500 and 570gr bullets respectively.

there's also a .577 NE which shoots a 750gr bullet, and a 700NE which shoots a 1000 grain,

most hunters would probably just use a bolt action .375 h&h or .458 lott on their safari however.

there also use to be something called 4 bores, 8 bores, 10 bores, which were also double rifles,

Big Uncle 01-13-2011 06:39 AM

Double rifles are for close range, and usually for dangerous game like elephant or cape buffalo. They have two triggers, one for each barrel. It allows two fast shots, and some peace of mind in that if one barrel does not fire the other one almost certainly will.

bugsNbows 01-13-2011 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Elsiey (Post 3756924)
Hello. I know nothing about guns or hunting so please, if the answer to this question is blindingly obvious, don't laugh!

I recently saw a video of some big game hunting in southern Africa. The hunter was using a rifle to hunt buffalo and elephant, but the gun actually looked like a double-barrel shotgun with massive bullets (.600 or .700 I think they were called?).

Welcome, and it's not a dumb question. The other posters have given you good info. Some of the doubles are massive, and recoil levels can be brutal. But, if your life depends on it...who cares?

mortalcare 01-13-2011 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Big Uncle (Post 3757107)
Double rifles are for close range, and usually for dangerous game like elephant or cape buffalo. They have two triggers, one for each barrel. It allows two fast shots, and some peace of mind in that if one barrel does not fire the other one almost certainly will.

LOL that would suck having both barrels jam like click click"OH CRAP!!!!"
:poke:

rg87 01-13-2011 03:14 PM

what if both barrels decided to fire at the same time haha

RIbadazzz 01-13-2011 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by rg87 (Post 3757410)
what if both barrels decided to fire at the same time haha

read an article on that once...

not sure if it was a case of a guy shooting and then pulling the 2nd trigger, almost at the same time...or what...

but the article said both the shooter and cape buffalo were knocked off their feet!