Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
A question about the guns used for hunting? >

A question about the guns used for hunting?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

A question about the guns used for hunting?

Old 01-12-2011, 06:59 PM
Spike

Default A question about the guns used for hunting?

Hello. I know nothing about guns or hunting so please, if the answer to this question is blindingly obvious, don't laugh!

I recently saw a video of some big game hunting in southern Africa. The hunter was using a rifle to hunt buffalo and elephant, but the gun actually looked like a double-barrel shotgun with massive bullets (.600 or .700 I think they were called?).
Old 01-12-2011, 07:32 PM
Fork Horn

Not sure what the question is, but yes the early hunters in Africa found the large slugs were effective against even the bulk of an elephant, they used things like the 4 ga , a 1/4 lb slug is large.And most either recommend or require the use of guns in large cal .375 or larger.most of the double guns like those made by Holland & Holland are worth more than most cars & some more than a family home.
Alex
Old 01-12-2011, 08:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Double barrel rifle, larger caliber...............you were right !
Old 01-12-2011, 08:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

double rifle, pretty awesome if you can afford one.

I think many range from 15k-150k in price.

I think a cheap one could be built/had for 10-15k perhaps

there's a dvd out there....nitroexpress safaris I think it's called the guy uses a 600 Nitro Express, 600NE which shoots 900 grain bullets!

the most popular doubles are the .470 NE and .500 NE probably which shoot 500 and 570gr bullets respectively.

there's also a .577 NE which shoots a 750gr bullet, and a 700NE which shoots a 1000 grain,

most hunters would probably just use a bolt action .375 h&h or .458 lott on their safari however.

there also use to be something called 4 bores, 8 bores, 10 bores, which were also double rifles,
Old 01-13-2011, 06:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Double rifles are for close range, and usually for dangerous game like elephant or cape buffalo. They have two triggers, one for each barrel. It allows two fast shots, and some peace of mind in that if one barrel does not fire the other one almost certainly will.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Elsiey
Hello. I know nothing about guns or hunting so please, if the answer to this question is blindingly obvious, don't laugh!

I recently saw a video of some big game hunting in southern Africa. The hunter was using a rifle to hunt buffalo and elephant, but the gun actually looked like a double-barrel shotgun with massive bullets (.600 or .700 I think they were called?).
Welcome, and it's not a dumb question. The other posters have given you good info. Some of the doubles are massive, and recoil levels can be brutal. But, if your life depends on it...who cares?
Old 01-13-2011, 10:41 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
Double rifles are for close range, and usually for dangerous game like elephant or cape buffalo. They have two triggers, one for each barrel. It allows two fast shots, and some peace of mind in that if one barrel does not fire the other one almost certainly will.
LOL that would suck having both barrels jam like click click"OH CRAP!!!!"
Old 01-13-2011, 03:14 PM
Spike

what if both barrels decided to fire at the same time haha
Old 01-13-2011, 03:27 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by rg87
what if both barrels decided to fire at the same time haha
read an article on that once...

not sure if it was a case of a guy shooting and then pulling the 2nd trigger, almost at the same time...or what...

but the article said both the shooter and cape buffalo were knocked off their feet!