Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
.308 all around cartridge >

.308 all around cartridge

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.308 all around cartridge

Old 01-12-2011, 04:00 AM
Spike

Default .308 all around cartridge

I am looking into a rifle that would mostly be used for coyotes and deer. I have decided on the tikka lite but dont know what caliber. I was thinking 308 but IDK. It is possible this gun would also be used for moose, bear, or caribou.

Or I could just buy a 223 or 243 for predator rifle

Sorry if my post is confusing this happens every time i buy a new gun!!
Old 01-12-2011, 04:23 AM
Typical Buck

.308 sounds good for all of the above, maybe to big for coyote but i would use it. i use my .270 for coyotes but with like 100 grain rounds. plus a .308 is a civilan version of the 7.62 x 51mm NATO so you can buy cheap surplus ammo for shoooting compared to paying like 20-30$ a box. Good luck!
Old 01-12-2011, 04:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

The part of your equation that I think you got wrong is the rifle. I'd strongly suggest you look at a different (non-plastic) rifle.

The .308 is an excellent choice. Tops in my book.

Tom
Old 01-12-2011, 05:09 AM
Spike

I love my .308. Mine is a Rem 700 SPS. Not exactly a light weight rifle, since it is a tactical model. Shoots extremely well. If you hand-load you have hundreds of different load/bullet combinations. There is also a company that sells accelerator sabots. Allows you to load .22 cal bullets into a .30 cal rifle. I don't remember the name of the company. Haven't tried them yet, but in the near future I probably will.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by statjunk
The part of your equation that I think you got wrong is the rifle. I'd strongly suggest you look at a different (non-plastic) rifle.

The .308 is an excellent choice. Tops in my book.

Tom
I agree,if you really like the tikka look @ the hunter it's the same gun with a wood stock.Much nicer IMO.

I started a simular thread a few weeks back{7mm-08 all around cartridge}After thinking about it , doing a little more reseach about it I'm gonna go with the 308 mainly because of ammo availiblity and the cost of ammo.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:19 AM
Super Moderator

The .308 is a great round for everything you listed. Your options for buying ammo is good, and if you handload you'll have a lot to choose from to load for anything you want to use it for.
-Jake
Old 01-12-2011, 01:35 PM
Typical Buck

I prefer the 7mm08 over the 308 because it has very similar ballistics, and less kick.

The only thing I hate is the limited availability of ammo choices in 7mm08.

If you want coyote hides, I'd go with a lighter rifle though. A 308 can leave a rather large hole.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:48 PM
Spike

Thanks for all the great help! I have been wanting a rifle thet is light and I wouldn't mind taking in the rain/snow. I will not be saving the coyote pelts. I am hunting them more or less to protect the deer and bunnies from the ever growing population of yotes. I'm pretty sure I want the 308 but am still not sure on the rifle. I am no thinking of the savage weather warrior. Anyone have any experience with this rifle?

And sfury i agree with you on the 7mm-08. I have a BLR chambered for that round. I have never had a deer take a step!
Old 01-12-2011, 03:27 PM
Fork Horn

308 great choice. Don't worry about the hole for yotes just use fmj, the hole will only be .308"
Old 01-14-2011, 04:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by CDBHunter
Thanks for all the great help! I have been wanting a rifle thet is light and I wouldn't mind taking in the rain/snow. I will not be saving the coyote pelts. I am hunting them more or less to protect the deer and bunnies from the ever growing population of yotes. I'm pretty sure I want the 308 but am still not sure on the rifle. I am no thinking of the savage weather warrior. Anyone have any experience with this rifle?

And sfury i agree with you on the 7mm-08. I have a BLR chambered for that round. I have never had a deer take a step!
If you can justify the cost of a Winchester Extreme Weather I would strongly suggest it. Amazing rifle for the money.

Otherwise, there are lots of good choices out there. I'd stay away from the Tikka.

I don't think stainless synthetic is a must. Just take care of the rifle and it'll be fine.

Tom

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.