Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

First Rifle

Old 01-03-2011, 10:13 AM
Spike

Default First Rifle

Im a young guy, 21, looking to buy my first rifle. Obviously I have a tight budget so i was looking mainly at the savage model 11/111 and the marlin XL7/XS7. Which one is better for a young hunter like me? I mainly hunt whitetail but I also do some small game/varmint hunting so I wasn't sure which caliber to go with. I was considering a .243 or .308 but am very open to suggestions. Thanks in advance for all the help.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Either of those rifles will serve you well, and though I'm a pretty big fan of the .243, for your first rifle I'd push you towards the .308.
The .308 has plenty of ammo choices on shelves in most areas, and has a little more capability when you wish to move up to deer that are larger, or game larger than deer.
I don't know as much about the Marlin as the Savage, and can tell you I'm a Savage fan becasue of the simplicity of the design and it's record of smooth operation in all conditions.
I've heard mostly great things about the Marlin, but as it is a newcomer we don't have much long term info yet.

So, in a nutshell, I'd lean towards a USED Savage 308 and put any money you save by going used into a good scope.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:51 AM
Spike

Default First Rifle?

I am a big Savage fan. I know only what I read about the Marlins and most of it is Good.
For a dual purpose rifle(whitetail/varmint) I personally don't care for either of your caliber choices. My favorite dual purpose cartridge is the 25/06 Remington. Granted, you won't always find ammo on the shelf in many stores; however, all of the catalog houses have a variety of ammo available.Hopefully others will share their thoughts so that you can make a better informed decision.
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!
Old 01-03-2011, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 8mm/06
Either of those rifles will serve you well, and though I'm a pretty big fan of the .243, for your first rifle I'd push you towards the .308.
The .308 has plenty of ammo choices on shelves in most areas, and has a little more capability when you wish to move up to deer that are larger, or game larger than deer.
I don't know as much about the Marlin as the Savage, and can tell you I'm a Savage fan becasue of the simplicity of the design and it's record of smooth operation in all conditions.
I've heard mostly great things about the Marlin, but as it is a newcomer we don't have much long term info yet.

So, in a nutshell, I'd lean towards a USED Savage 308 and put any money you save by going used into a good scope.
I forgot that you metioned that you'd be doing both deer hunting and some small game varmint with the same rifle.
Since that is your plan there really isn't much of a better choice than the .243. I have one that spits 75 grain pills very accurately as well as the 100 grainers I handload. I took my biggest deer ever with my .243.

Dual purpose the .243 gets the nod between the 2 you mentioned, but there are many more choices that may not have accessible ammo choice. 25/06 is a great chjoice too, 257u, 6.5 X 55, 260, 7mm/08, .... But i'd go with the .243.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:03 PM
Spike

another question i forgot to ask. would i be better off shelling out the extra money to get the savage with the accutrigger or get the one without the accutrigger and use that money for a higher quality scope? Im used to shooting shotguns and to be honest i dont know that i need an adjustable trigger for the shooting i will be doing. does the accutrigger help to improve accuracy or just allow you to be more consistent and smooth each time you pull the trigger?
Old 01-03-2011, 12:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Right now IMO this is the "best value" entry level rifle out there.

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/prod...ucts_id=118062

Triple purpose caliber = .243 Win.

Varmint/predator, deer & target (most important for a "young" shooter).

It will be of service to you for a lifetime !

Last edited by Sheridan; 01-03-2011 at 12:13 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can buy a used Savage dirt cheap. They are very common on the used gun market, and you can always sell it if you don't like it (or when it is time for an upgrade). Any decent 3x9x40 scope will do the job, but it would make sense to set aside a fair portion of the budget to get the best available.
Some people like the accutrigger, some do not.
The .243 Winchester cartridge would be a good compromise for your list of purposes, and ammo is found easily.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

From what everyone says the accu-trigger is the real deal,never heard anyone say they didn't like it.......so I would say to get the one with the accu-trigger.
As far as the choice betwwen the 243 & 308........well this is my opinion.The 243 is definately capable of taken deer but you got to put the bullet where it belongs just as you would have to with the 308.But IMO you have a little more margin of error with the 308.
For varmits & coyotes tuff to beat the 243.I shoot a 243 and the reason I bought it was for a multi purpose gun,yotes & deer.I'm looking @ buying another rifle & was looking @ the 7mm08 but due to ammo availibility I'm leaning more toward the 308.I just prefer short action rifles.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jerry d
the accu-trigger is the real deal,never heard anyone say they didn't like it...
I don't like it (now you have heard it), but many guys do.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
I don't like it (now you have heard it), but many guys do.
I stand corrected

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.