Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
TC Encore 308 pistol??? >

TC Encore 308 pistol???

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

TC Encore 308 pistol???

Old 12-29-2010, 05:04 AM
Spike

Default TC Encore 308 pistol???

I am considering buying a TC Encore pistol. I would prefer the 308, but I may consider the 270 or even the 7mm08. Does anyone on here have any experience with these? If so, what distance to you feel comfortable shooting with it, do they have a lot of recoil, and how hard is it to get used to shooting one accurately if you have never shot one before? Also, which caliber would you suggest I get.

Thanks!!
Old 12-29-2010, 05:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

For what purpose?
Old 12-29-2010, 05:26 AM
Spike

For whitetail deer. I mainly bow hunt, but sometimes I will take my rifle with me when I bow hunt during rifle season just in case ol sad daddy decides to show himself out of bow range and he won't come in any closer. It is getting to be too much trouble taking my stand, bow, and rifle together and climbing a tree with it all. I just figure that the pistol would be less bulky and easier to take, plus I think I would like a new challenge.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I pistol hunt mainly with a .30-30 barrel with a Leupold 2X scope. It is plenty for deer to distances further than I shoot. My pistol shooting is rarely over 100 yards for deer. I don't like the recoil of the .308 (it makes my wrist sore), but it and the 7-08 are popular. Pistol scopes that are powerful enough to take advantage of the .308 class of cartridge can really be a pain in the butt to shoot in the field for cartridges over .223.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:24 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
I pistol hunt mainly with a .30-30 barrel with a Leupold 2X scope. It is plenty for deer to distances further than I shoot. My pistol shooting is rarely over 100 yards for deer. I don't like the recoil of the .308 (it makes my wrist sore), but it and the 7-08 are popular. Pistol scopes that are powerful enough to take advantage of the .308 class of cartridge can really be a pain in the butt to shoot in the field for cartridges over .223.
What about a .243? Do you think it would be ok as a pistol? I know it is plenty big enough to kill deer, but I was just wondering if shooting it as a pistol would hinder its performance.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:22 PM
Fork Horn

Default TC Encore

I have a few barrels for the Encore, The 308 with a 150 gr bullet should be ideal for deer, I've gone to a little heavier bullet for moose. I really love my 260 rem barrel, and if I get a chance to hunt deer or pronghorn it would be my first choice ,I don't have a 243 but would imagine it would do great as well.One of my friends is in love with the contender with the 35 rem .These are all 14 or 15 in, are scoped, with my eyes I really need that , but I found I like a bit more power in my pistol scopes than many like,I always carry a shooting stick in some form which makes longer shoots possible, any of the barrels above will shoot better than I will ever be able to, even off a rest.Shooting from the sticks ,breaking clays at 100 yds is simple, and 200 is very doable. Shooting from a bench with a good rest the 223 will shoot sub 1/2 in groups,So I would say the Encore with any deer size cal should fill the bill, but you may want to look at the contender the old style is much lighter, will not handle the high pressure loads but with something like the 30-30 ,or the 35 rem would be great out to 100 yds plus.
Alex
Old 01-05-2011, 09:28 PM
Fork Horn

Sorry to be so long but should add if your not used to shooting heavy pistols 44, 454 etc. you may not be comfortable with the recoil .of the 308 class , or even the 35 rem.You might try logging on to specialty pistols forum ,see if there is anyone in your area that would let you try the contender or encore.
Alex
Old 01-21-2011, 08:14 PM
Typical Buck

I have a contender with the super 14 and the muzzle brake in 7-30 waters and it will shoot,I have taken deer with it at 185 yards.The main thing with a pistol is the shooter being farmiliar with his weapon,good rest,scope,and a centered scope picture in the handgun scope and knowing your capabilities.I dont know about the recoil of the 308 but with the ammo being a lot cheaper than most calibers you can get a lot of practice.If you dont reload 7-30 cost 30 bucks a box and federal is the only company that makes them..
Old 01-22-2011, 05:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

the 7 30 is asuperb cartridge there is also another advanatge ,it has a rimed case which makes it way easer to remove a spent round. whats really sad is that TC does not at this time have a ready to go barrel that has uses a rimmed cartridge for the encore .
Old 01-22-2011, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Magnum Research Indust. Lone Eagle in 308. It has a muzzle brake and shoots REALLY well!!!!! I have a Burris LER (Long Eye Relief) 2x7x32 scope on it and shoot 165grn Nosler Bal. tips and it shoots sub MOA. Recoil is less with the muzzlebrake in place. I may get a barrel in 7-08 if I can find one for I have an endless supply of 308 brass and will form my own.

Last edited by SecondChance; 01-22-2011 at 07:00 PM.