Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

[Deleted]

Old 07-22-2003, 08:43 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 07-22-2003, 08:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: SLUG GUNS

You said " A" slug gun. I bought two. One for me and one for my oldest boy, " Hoss" .

Both H&R Ultra Slug Hunter' s, single shot, fully rifled-bull barrels with scopes. Neither one cost more than $200.00, $300.00 with scopes.

Accurate? ............................. VERY!

Uncle Matt (in IL)
Old 07-22-2003, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

If I needed a slug gun I would definately look into the H&R even if I wanted to be able to change barrels. I think H&R/NEF are some of the best bargains on the market.
Old 07-22-2003, 09:24 AM
Typical Buck

If you can find a Browning A bolt fully rifled barrle grab it.High Browning quality and shoots very well.Next choice would be Marlin 512 slugmaster,also a good shooter,trigger is a bit stiff but still a great choice.The savage would be my next choice.The ultimate weapon would be a Tarhunt slug gun but very costly.Good luck
Old 07-22-2003, 11:49 AM

Ithaca Deerslayer if price is not a huge issue
its purty and time tested
Old 07-22-2003, 12:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

ITHACA DEERSLAYER, MOSSBERG BOLT ACTION OR BROWNING BOLT ACTION ARE ALL GOOD NON REPLACEABLE BARREL SHOTGUNS. THE HIGH END SHOTGUN IN THIS CLASS BEING THE TARHUNT
Old 07-22-2003, 01:33 PM
bigcountry

Know of two people that had troubles out of thier 1187' s, so I went with the Browning Gold. Extreamely accurate. Had the HR' s but too heavy for what you get and kicks like a mule and single shot. But its cheap. I like semis when using slug guns. Where I hunt on the Eastern Shore of MD, you really don' t want that animal to get into the swamps or you might need a canoe. Seriously

Believe me you won' t be dissatisfied. I hate to admit this, but the action is so much more smoother than my 1187, I use for trap. Has a few cool things about it, like if you need another slug, just barely slide it in the bottom and it automatically puts in the chamber in a hurry without pushing any release like my 1187. Never had to use deer hunting, but do duck hunting. The gas system doesn' t rely on the rubber band like the 1187 but I heard remington fixed that problem. I carry an extra anyway with my 1187. The Browning has a one piece piston. Only drawback is the barrels are expensive. Alot more than Remington. Really depends on the budget.

Old 07-23-2003, 07:15 AM

I personally own a Remington 870 pump gun with the rifled slug barrel & love it.....IMHO....REMINGTON RULES!!!!!!!!! Brampton Mike [8D]
Old 07-23-2003, 07:27 AM
Typical Buck

I' m suprized that no one has said anything about the 870. that is usually the " go to answer" for the " which gun should I get for....."

I would never, never get a bolt action or a single shot slug gun, never!!

why? the A-Bolt slug master is no longer made and forget about finding one for sale, if you do the price tag on it will be so high yo may as well by a new autoloder.

Anyway, the Mossberg and Marlin are $200 guns. they may to " good" shooters but not fast shooters. the actions are rough, metal cheap, just not quality.

The Deerslayer are good guns the new DSII is too heavy for all conventional use. The single shot H&R are also way to heavy. why would you want a 10lb. gun that only holds one bullet?

Ideally it would be best to have at least one gun for every season (deer gun, turkey gun, duck gun) it would be even better to have backup guns also.
You are best served by two options. 1. by a rem. 870 syn. field gun and the cantilever fully 21" rifled slug barrel to go with it. 2. by the 870 deer gun which will be the " super Slug" 23" slightly fatter barrel & it has a monte carlo stock.

I use a 870 with the 21" cantilever fulley rifled slug barrel. I have clover leaf groups at 100yds. with lightfield slugs. i like this gun cause it is fairly small light weight and quick. Scope-1.75-5x20 burris FFII.
My other deer gun is a Benelli SBE with a E.R. Shaw Custom slug barrel. It is a 24" fat, but not heavy barrel. it weighs more than my 870. it also clover leafs lightfields at 100yds. Scope - Burris Signature 1.5-6x26 electro dot.

if you budget minded go with one of the 870' s

don' t waste your money one various slugs, shoot Lightfields.
Old 07-23-2003, 08:45 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.