Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
H&R pardner single shot? >

H&R pardner single shot?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

H&R pardner single shot?

Old 12-27-2010, 01:48 PM
Spike

Default H&R pardner single shot?

Looking into getting a good gun for bunny and grouse hunting. One that I wont have trouble carrying though some thick woods. What do you guys think of the H&R single shots? I shot a 12 gauge pardner so I'm pretty sure im goin to get the 20ga.

Thanks!
Old 12-27-2010, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have two of those in 20 ga. I keep around as "loaners". One is a standard model and the other is a youth model (short barrel and recoil pad). They seem to be OK, and nobody will cry when they get a scratch on them. I bought both of them used, but in new condition, for $100 each.
The exposed hammer is not a feature that I like, and they don't swing like a fine double, but they are light weight and they work. You will probably get more bunnys per shell by shooting a single shot.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:13 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
I have two of those in 20 ga. I keep around as "loaners". One is a standard model and the other is a youth model (short barrel and recoil pad). They seem to be OK, and nobody will cry when they get a scratch on them. I bought both of them used, but in new condition, for $100 each.
The exposed hammer is not a feature that I like, and they don't swing like a fine double, but they are light weight and they work. You will probably get more bunnys per shell by shooting a single shot.
yeah I just want a rugged gun that I want mind getting scatched or chipped. I do a lot of rabbit and grouse hunting in winter and feel like doing this whenever I get snow in or on my more expensive guns.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:12 PM
Spike

About 5 years ago, my son bought a used 20 ga for $70. Even though they aren't trap guns, he has put I don't know how many rounds through it at the range with not a single malfunction. I can recommend this gun highly. In my mind, they are kind of like the old Volkswagon Beetles. A simple design that takes a lot of abuse and keeps going ... and going ... and going.

Don't be afraid to look for a used one to save a few bucks. They are such a simple design that you really don't have to worry about "buying someone else's problems" as in more complicated guns.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:00 PM
Spike

i have one in 410 and in 20 gauge they are tough as nails they shoot true and my 20 will really carry remington sluggers . i carry them when im runnin my traplines in the winter for rabbits and other small game.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:12 PM
Fork Horn

I've got one in 16ga and one in 20ga there good guns I use em for throw around guns I can throw it in the truck and not worry about it
Old 01-06-2011, 07:38 AM
Fork Horn

I have never heard a bad thing about them. But my first hand knowledge is with a 410 that was new in 1984 (christmas present from my folks when I was 5) that I only had until I was big enough for a 12 gauge. however I just ran into one at a gun shop last week that was a 410 made after the remington takeover and the fit and finish was terrible!! The butt stock stuck out on all sides of the receiver 1/8th of an inch. I know that they are just cheap guns but I would look for a used one if I was you. jmho
Old 01-06-2011, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jessejmc1979
The butt stock stuck out on all sides of the receiver 1/8th of an inch. I know that they are just cheap guns but I would look for a used one if I was you. jmho
The two that I have are a few years old and they have the same finish that you saw. It does not matter and does not have any effect on the function of the gun. If my Beretta looked like that I would be very unhappy, but this is typical for these guns.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:09 AM
Fork Horn

If I expect good fit and finish out of an expensive gun I just think that it should be the same in a "cheap one". The rossi's have good fit and finish and are even cheaper. I personally like american made guns and think for our money the stock should be smooth with the receiver. Maybe I am expecting too much? I think if a company in Brazil can make a 410 with a good fit and finish why can't an American one? But if you are looking for a brush beater and this doesn't matter to you then they are great guns!