Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

want a 243

Old 12-26-2010, 02:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Although Weatherby Vangaurd and Howa are both fine firearms, made in Japan. I personally wont own one, or any other foriegn made gun for that matter. There are plenty of great firearms made right here in the good ol U.S.A.. Our nations economy is in enough trouble, I will only buy guns made in America, by Americans who pay taxes and support our Nations economy, not a gun assembled by a foriegner that probably cant even spell firearm. JMO.
I will to provided that the American made product is of equal or greater quality... even if it costs a little more money for the American made rifle. Unfortunately for the American made rifles this isn't the case. The Howa is a better made rifle than Ruger, Remington, Savage, Marlin, Mossberg, etc...

In fact, the only production grade rifle made in America that is of equal or better quality to the Howa's are the FN made Winchester model 70's.

Our economy isn't in trouble simply because of imported goods but that is another topic all together.
Old 12-26-2010, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigbulls
I will to provided that the American made product is of equal or greater quality... even if it costs a little more money for the American made rifle. Unfortunately for the American made rifles this isn't the case. The Howa is a better made rifle than Ruger, Remington, Savage, Marlin, Mossberg, etc...

In fact, the only production grade rifle made in America that is of equal or better quality to the Howa's are the FN made Winchester model 70's.

Our economy isn't in trouble simply because of imported goods but that is another topic all together.
I guess that would be your opinion. I personally would rate all the above stated rifles better in quality and craftmanship. How many accuracy titles does Howa own? How many snipers use Howa? How many custom rifle buiders are using Howa Actions for a base platfom for the custom builds? NONE!, that I am aware of, but maybe you could educate me on this. Even Weatherby doesnt use Howa to build there top models, the Mark V is made in America and is twice the gun as the Vangaurd which is built by Howa, The Vangaurd is Weatherby's base line gun, the cheapest thing they build.

Last edited by fritz1; 12-26-2010 at 05:26 PM.
Old 12-26-2010, 06:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

I personally would rate all the above stated rifles better in quality and craftmanship.
I guess you have more to learn about the craftsmanship of rifles.

How many snipers use Howa?
That has absolutely nothing to do with anything. Snipers use the rifle that the military says they can use. Politics doesn't mean a thing.

How many accuracy titles does Howa own?
No accuracy titles are won with an off the shelf production rifle from any manufacturer. This argument doesn't hold water. By the time a Remington 700 is completed and gets to the firing line it is anything but a Remington 700. That's like buying a car based on the outcome of the Indy 500.

How many custom rifle buiders are using Howa Actions for a base platfom for the custom builds? NONE!, that I am aware of, but maybe you could educate me on this.
There are several. They aren't that hard to find. Here are a few.
Bill Wiseman is the best known.
Colorado School of Trades uses them in their gunsmithing school.
http://westtexordnance.com/custom_rifles
http://www.roedaleprecision.com/epages/semicustom.htm
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubb...Number=1765083

Even Weatherby doesnt use Howa to build there top models, the Mark V is made in America and is twice the gun as the Vangaurd which is built by Howa, The Vangaurd is Weatherby's base line gun, the cheapest thing they build.
I wouldn't give you a nickel for a MK-IV and any one that knows rifles wouldn't either. They are a joke of a rifle. Very seldom do they live up to their price tag. Learn a few things about what makes a solid and strong rifle and you will see that the Mark IV is anything but. The vanguard may be less expensive than the Mark-IV but it certainly isn't the cheapest.

Take some time to actually look at a Howa with open eyes and you will see that they are a better built rifle. Their receivers are machined from forgings and are one of the strongest made, the bolt is one solid piece of steel from front to back including the handle, The extractor is M16 style which is one of the strongest around next to a Mauser style, The bolt body is vented... in the event of case rupture gases are directed away from the shooter, they use a 3 position safety and the trigger is fully adjustable, The receiver bottom is flat and the tapered recoil lug is integrated into the receiver.

Last edited by bigbulls; 12-26-2010 at 06:50 PM.
Old 12-26-2010, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe you need to read this about the Mark V, it has the strongest action available. Check this site. www.chuckhawks.com/wby_mkV_rifles.htm
www.chuckhawks.com/wby_vangaurd_rifles.htm

The vangaurd is a wannabe Mark V, a cheap Japanese made version.
I dont doubt Colorado school of gunsmithing uses them, they are cheap.
And yes, the Vangaurd is Weatherby's cheapest rifle.

Last edited by fritz1; 12-26-2010 at 07:02 PM.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:03 PM
Fork Horn

i decided on either the savage or howa,i shot a friends howa 22-250,its nice.i just dont care for the newer remingtons,i have a 721 in 30-06.wish the quality was still the same.i can only afford the savage or howa.merry christmas everyone
Old 12-26-2010, 07:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by jdhogg
right off the bat,brownings and remingtons arnt even in the running but am interested in the stevens and howa, but marlin mite do it
What is the reason for your choices of manufacturer? Why throw out the Remingtons, but keep Stevens in the mix? Makes no sense whatsoever... I've got 4 Remington 700's and a Remington Seven, and am extremely happy with all of them.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ipscshooter
What is the reason for your choices of manufacturer? Why throw out the Remingtons, but keep Stevens in the mix? Makes no sense whatsoever... I've got 4 Remington 700's and a Remington Seven, and am extremely happy with all of them.
+1. I have several Remingtons and Brownings they are all great guns.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

The vangaurd is a wannabe Mark V, a cheap Japanese made version.
The vanguard is made nothing like a Mark-IV. Come on. You aren't that ignorant on the subject are you?

And if you are going to quote a web site you gotta do better than Chuck Hawks.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigbulls
The vanguard is made nothing like a Mark-IV. Come on. You aren't that ignorant on the subject are you?

And if you are going to quote a web site you gotta do better than Chuck Hawks.
I suppose you know more about guns than Chuck Hawks. What gun publications have you wrote for?
Old 12-26-2010, 07:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

+1. I have several Remingtons and Brownings they are all great guns.
Really??????? I thought you wouldn't own a foreign made gun???? Unless all you own from Browning is the buckmark cause that's the only US made browning.
Although Weatherby Vangaurd and Howa are both fine firearms, made in Japan. I personally wont own one, or any other foriegn made gun for that matter.
What's up with that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.