Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
What caliber ammo combo anchors deer fastest for you on lung shots? >

What caliber ammo combo anchors deer fastest for you on lung shots?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What caliber ammo combo anchors deer fastest for you on lung shots?

Old 11-14-2010, 04:31 PM
Fork Horn

Default What caliber ammo combo anchors deer fastest for you on lung shots?

What caliber/ammo combo anchors deer fastest for you on lung shots?

My 44 mag with 240 JHPs works best for me. I'm looking for another gun, though, and don't like to track.

Thanks,
ths78
Old 11-14-2010, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you are talking about a true lung shot with no CNS contact...

NOTHING....

They nearly always run 20-70 yards, whether you shoot 'em with a 22-250 or a .338..

IF the bullet hits or PASSES CLOSE TO the spine, they will fall down and usually bleed to death before they can regain thier feet..

If shoulders are involved they may fall down...

If you really want them to fall down RIGHT NOW shoot them somewhere other than through the lungs....Like the shoulders or where the neck joins the body....
Old 11-14-2010, 10:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Some have suggested that high velocity rounds anchor them.

Also some seem to think overkill anchors them.

I've yet to find a round that drops them in their tracks more so than another, although not only are we comparing rounds to other rounds, but don't forget different bullet types within a given round.

So many options, and I too am not sure if it matters, I've yet to come to a conclusion.

I've seen a mulie dropped in it's tracks with a .25-06, and I've seen a BIG black bear go about 3 steps with a .300 win.mag., everything else I can think of has ran some distance even though they were dead with 1 shot...

I have heard/read that the .257wby has an uncanny record of dropping game in it's tracks...
Old 11-15-2010, 01:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

The only time I've seen chest-shot deer drop intantly is when I've hit the shoulder blade. The impact seems to drop them immediately and they die before they can get up. I've done that with a .32 Special and repeatedly with a 30-06. I've come to expect that hit to drop them immediately. I don't think it matters what you hit them with, it's where you hit them.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Wingbone
The only time I've seen chest-shot deer drop intantly is when I've hit the shoulder blade. The impact seems to drop them immediately and they die before they can get up. I've done that with a .32 Special and repeatedly with a 30-06. I've come to expect that hit to drop them immediately. I don't think it matters what you hit them with, it's where you hit them.

My thought as well.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:34 AM
Fork Horn

My .338 Win Mag with Barns Tripple X will anchor anything on this planet! I have NOT had a whitetail even take a step after being shot with them. I'm on #5 or #6 now. Great gun-but wish it was ported. I'm getting too old for this gun!! LOL!
Old 11-15-2010, 05:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

It doesn't matter what you shoot them with. Unless you gt a spine or brain shot you can not guarantee that the animal will drop on the spot.

I've shot Florida deer with a .338RUM and they ran about 50 yards and I have shot elk with a .270 that flipped over backwards dead on the spot.

Every animal is different and sometimes they drop in their tracks and sometimes they run.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:27 AM
Typical Buck

I have only had a few deer run after getting shot with my 30-06 and only one ever made it out of site. Most of them have dropped in their tracks. But I try to get well placed shots. The one that ran the furthest was not the best shot but even then it didn't go but about 75 yards.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:36 AM
Fork Horn

For me, its a tie.
My .444 and 25-06 are the only weapons that have
a 100% bang-flop record. Hit and dead, not one step.
Probably an honest dozen or so each.

I've had deer run 25-50yds with solid hits from
calibers ranging from .357mag to .300 winchester.
Not counting my errors.

There have been some
times, that I look at the wound, and wonder how.

My .480 Ruger is starting a good trend. I've only taken 3 deer with it
and so far its 100% bang-flop, but that's not a large enough
sample to call.

A neighbor would say his .220 Swift.
He's used it every year since the 60's.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:45 AM
Typical Buck

My 243 using the 85 grain BTHP, it will not pass thru the deer but will flat our destroy everything inside.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.