Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
What caliber ammo combo anchors deer fastest for you on lung shots? >

What caliber ammo combo anchors deer fastest for you on lung shots?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What caliber ammo combo anchors deer fastest for you on lung shots?

Old 11-23-2010, 01:10 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Dalebow
I have to disagree with some here, my 300wsm with 150bst has taken over 30 deer and NONE have taken one step no matter where hit, over 3000 fps and 150gr 30 cal fast expanding round has anchored all of them.
Congrats, you have killed alot of deer with your 300wsm since 2001 when winchester introduced the round. How many tags do they let you fill each season (with rifle) in kentucky?
Old 11-23-2010, 03:20 PM
Spike

i like the 165gr. sierra gameking BTSP. but a nice 12ga. slug to the neck. all about shot placement
Old 11-23-2010, 06:28 PM
Spike

Lung shots hitting no bone generally result in steps taken after the shot. Overall I think the whole "anchoring" thing is very variable. Good shot placement, regardless of the number of seconds the deer lives after the shot, is always key. They only live a few seconds, even though they run up to 50 yards after a shot. It used to get me rung up when they ran off and collapsed, but I got over it. Heart shots, lung shots, shoulder shots.......some of them will run. The 12 gauge slug can physically plant them pretty well IMO.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by OldBuckstalker1187
Congrats, you have killed alot of deer with your 300wsm since 2001 when winchester introduced the round. How many tags do they let you fill each season (with rifle) in kentucky?
actually I think you can kill as many does as you want in w. KY
Old 11-24-2010, 05:46 PM
Spike

It has been my experience that when shooting them through the boiler room( heart, lungs,liver). Each and every deer can and will react differently. Some drop on the spot, others will slouch then sprint for 50 yards. If you want them to drop, do what we do for meat conservation reasons, if facing you put your crosshairs on the center of the white throat patch, if on the side, where the ear meets the head, or facing away right on the ball of the back of their head. That way you know instantly if it is hit or miss, and have almost no meat damage, if it is a nice buck and you're concerned with the mount shoot behind the shoulder and understand the possibility of tracking a little. With a good shot they usually won't go far, squeeze the trigger, and relax for a half hour then go get your deer.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

All of the deer that I have shot, or my kids have shot with me in their presence where bang flop. Some where shoulder/lung/heart shots and some where head shots and some where spine shots, but none ran off. The 44 Mag was an impressive kill though, no meat damage and not nearly as large of an exit hole as I was imagining would happen. The same goes for the 50 cal m/l, small entrance and exits. Now deer shot with the 270 at anything under 100 yards resulted in quite a lot of wasted meat. Bang flop, but still nasty exit wounds. One I shot through the chest/heart and the exit was the size of a softball, it took both lungs and the heart out with it. That was with a 150gr bullet at about 40 yards away though lol. Anything shot with the 30-30 was a very nice kill, not much wasted meat even when it was a shoulder shot and the deer go right down, the longest shot being about 140 yards away. I don't think that there is any real one shot bang flop caliber or bullet, but I think that if you are practiced with your gun and get a good shop it surely ups your chances. I like getting bang flop kills because the meat tends to be more tender when they go right down instead of getting the testosterone going and tainting the meat and making it tougher and more gamy tasting.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:55 AM
Fork Horn

12 gauge brennekies 1and 1/8 slug 2 3/4 inch out of an Ithaca deer slayer 18 inch smooth bore.bang flop baby !!!!!
Old 11-26-2010, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ths78
what caliber/ammo combo anchors deer fastest for you on lung shots?
Ths78

.50 bmg
Old 11-28-2010, 05:47 AM
Typical Buck

Just seen a youtube video where a 50 cal was used to shoot a doe and the doe ran 50-60 yards after being hit in the lungs. What's next a 105 howitzer?

Sometimes it drops and sometimes it runs there's no absolutes.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:03 AM
Spike

I have never seen a deer anchored with a lung shot. I have always tried a high shoulder shot, right on the top 1/3 line. This 'usually' anchors the animal, maybe a step forward before folding up. My preferred bullet in any caliber is the nosler partition, it's hard to beat the old classic. And from field experience, my 7-08 and 280 have dispatched animals with this shot and bullet combo as well as 7 mags and 270's.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.