Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Good defense gun fora lil' lady. >

Good defense gun fora lil' lady.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Good defense gun fora lil' lady.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:21 AM
M92
Spike

Originally Posted by itsslow98
http://www.snopes.com/crime/prevent/waspspray.asp

Take a read

wasp spray =

longer range 8-25 feet with greater accuracy then OC spray
temporarily blinds people until they reach a hospital for antidote
cheaper then OC spray
looks a lot less suspecting to someone breaking in your home
That is going to depend on which OC system you get. There are OC systems out there that accurately deliver spray out to 60 feet. But even still, ya can fight through wasp spray and OC spray, a determined attacker won't likely even slow down more than a step or two.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:14 AM
Spike

Someone mentioned it before, .410 shotgun. The first gun I bought my wife was just that, Mossburg 410 home defender. She then attended a training day for women only @ a local gun club. There she learned how to load, shoot, and clean different types of weapons. Since then I have purchased her a .38 Special. She likes the pistol, but would probably grab the shot gun if needed. A 3" shell loaded w/#6 does a number on milk jug full of water @ defensive combat distances, inside 15 yds.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not going to recommend a firearm because I don't know the ladies familiarity or lack thereof on firearms. I will tell you that my wife does very well with a 12ga shooting reduced recoil 00 buckshot.

To the people recommending #4's or whatever other kind of birdshot STOP. Very bad advice, and you may get someone killed. It has been proven time and time again that birdshot leaves a very nasty shallow wound. It is not sufficient for home defense. It never has been, and never will be.

Anything that will penetrate far enough to vital organs will penetrate thru walls in your home. Birdshot is for birds, not stopping a person intent on doing you bodily harm.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

didnt take em long to remove your link.

Originally Posted by OldBuckstalker1187
At 15-20 ft. If you get hit with 1 oz. of lead traveling 1600 ft. per second, you are gonna get stopped ( quickly ) It doesn't matter if the 1 oz. of lead is coming from toy soldiers, buck shot, slugs or size 4 shot. At 15-20 ft. birdshot will not expand much at all. It will leave a nice round 4-5 inch wound in the intruder. That I garuantee will stop him. If I remember correctly, I have seen photos of a whitetail that was shot ( by idiots ) at close range by bird shot. And It seemed to do some pretty nasty damage.
Here is a pic of a person shot by buckshot, it is very graphic. If any of you want to take a look.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...gun_wound.JPGs

If you are still running after me with a wound like that, then you should have played the role as terminator instead of Arnold. I will garauntee 2 wounds like that fired center mass in the chest of an intruder will stop him indefinately. And he wont be making it to the hospital, atleast not alive that is.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:26 PM
Banned

Old enough for a .22 but not a 9mil? Where do you live?
If handguns are doable, I'd go with a small cal revolver and stay away from semi-auto. One reason, reliability. The revolver will ALWAYS shoot. The semi-auto can get lint in it, jam, etc. And you don't need that.
Something like the Ruger LCR in .357 or .38 Sp. .357 woud be my personal choice, and you can plink with .38's in the .357. Make sure she can safely, comfortably and confidently handle whatever she shoots.
If handguns are out, I'd go with a pump shotgun in .410. There are a lot of "home defence" rounds for the .410 these days that include rifled slugs, discs with BB's, three ball rounds, etc. Go to http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/Brow...ing=653***9217*** and see how many rounds are available for .410.
Also, to an assailant in the dark, the sound of a shotgun racking in a round is enough to wet his self!!
Old 12-21-2010, 08:06 AM
Typical Buck

Do you wat to be a victim? I'd say some firearms classes are in order before she gets a gun in her hands. You come home unexpectedly and you are the target. Just a thought!

Old 12-21-2010, 09:09 PM
Spike

Why does everyone assume that she will not get proper instruction? I got my first instruction from my father over 30 years ago about firearm safety and use. I never had an accident since...just remember that one little accident can kill. When I applied for my CCL in PA in 2000, I was not required to take a training course. But, I am sure that has changed now. You don't have to get safety training from a certified course...there, I said it!!! That train of thought has been born from government making us think that anything less is careless. Maybe we should all be taking certified courses for carving the Thankgiving bird, because knives can kill too. Handling a firearm is common sense where safety is concerned, but most people think that inexperience lends to an inability to learn firearm safety...perfecting is use is actually the hard part.

I'm not really sure what "old enough" means, but a decent wheel gun would be a good choice. I got a 327 Fed Mag in a SP101 for the wife...and she loves it. You can put HR mags or 32 SW in it to practice and have fun at the range. The 327 is quite the handful, but practice with the recoil can give great results. The wife is grouping four inches at 20 ft now. Great little revolver. I don't trust semi's with personal protection.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:29 PM
Spike

Wasp spray for self defense is a bad idea. It is a MYTH! Stick with the Pepper Spray. Wasp spray is unproven and has never been tested on humans. Wasp Spray will NOT work on those who cannot feel pain i.e. drugs or alcohol. Pepper Spray is an inflammatory which will cause the eyes to slam shut no matter the situation. That’s why over 40,000 law enforcement agencies carry it nationwide and even the smallest canisters will fire 10 ft while the larger will canisters will fire 25 to 30 ft.