Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
AR-15 Fixed Carry Handle Scope Mount Question? >

AR-15 Fixed Carry Handle Scope Mount Question?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

AR-15 Fixed Carry Handle Scope Mount Question?

Old 12-11-2010, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default AR-15 Fixed Carry Handle Scope Mount Question?

Has anyone ever tried removing their Fixed carry handle scope mount without removing the scope and rings from the mount?

I would like to use one of my AR-15's for open sight competitions, but I use it a lot for varminting with a scope.

My Pic rail on this rifle is the type that seats down into the carry handle and is secured with only one bolt that feeds through the carry handle. The rail can be removed without removing the scope or rings, and I've considered changing the splined thumbnut on the mount bolt for a hex nut so I can use a torque wrench to assure that the mount is torqued the same every time I install it.

So my question is, has anyone else that has this type of mount tested how much the POI changes when you remove and replace the mount?

I suppose if NOBODY has tested it themselves, I'll be the guinnea pig and test it out myself at the range, but i'm BETTING my POI won't change much?
Old 12-12-2010, 05:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

FYI, alo of military guys will jump on you for calling it a carry handle, as it is not really a carry handle. I call it that but get a good long talking to around alot of military guys
Old 12-12-2010, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Armalite called it a carry handle and when they sold the license, Colt ALSO called it a carry handle... And they had it before the "military guys" of today ever did... Bushmaster, DPMS, Armalite, Colt, Wilson Combat, Olympic, RRA, etc etc all call it a "carry handle".

I also call mine an AR-15. And there's NEVER been a "military guy" that was issued an "AR-15"...

Moral of the story, it's a carry handle... Regardless of you carry your rifle with it or not.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

It won't change much. Most of them aren't accurate enough to know the difference anyhow.

Tom
Old 12-13-2010, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by statjunk
It won't change much. Most of them aren't accurate enough to know the difference anyhow.

Tom
What AR-15's have you been shooting? If the scope position changes 1MOA, I'll notice (position change of 1/100" over the length of my scope). I haven't had an AR-15 yet that wouldn't shoot 1-1.5MOA.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've had an Armalite, and two bushy's. The Armalite was the most accurate but it was very finicky about ammo. Maybe it it was close to 1.5 MOA. Can't remember any more honestly. The Bushy's were terrible. Closer to 2-2.5 MOA. Sold off my last one just before Obama at a profit. Likely never buy another one. Don't really see the point anymore.

Tom
Old 12-14-2010, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Grew on me like mold...

Tom, honestly, back in college a bunch of my buddies were buying AR's and I just didn't see the point. I bought one back then for 3gun competitions, but I just never really appreciated the AR platform until I started building them myself. Granted, I'm still not a huge fan of "tactical style" AR's, but they sell, so I build them. The platform as a precision rifle base is 2nd only to a bolt action in my opinion, and with my fetish for precision long range shooting, I just can't get enough of the AR!
Old 12-15-2010, 06:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by bigtim6656
FYI, alo of military guys will jump on you for calling it a carry handle, as it is not really a carry handle. I call it that but get a good long talking to around alot of military guys

Just curious..... What do the military guys call it?
Old 12-15-2010, 08:34 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by ipscshooter
Just curious..... What do the military guys call it?
We called it a carrying handle, and in basic/advanced training if you were caught carrying the weapon by the carrying handle, it was pushups and flutter kicks until you wished you weren't born. Good times.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

this was my point, i have always called it a carry handle. Why would anyone build a rifle with a handle not made to be carried by it. Show me a video or picture of a soldier in a war zone carrying the gun by the "carry handle" I will walk around town naked. Like you said get caught doing so and you will never do it again.

I guess because carrying the gun by the handle would risk the soldier since it would take alot longer to shoulder aim and fire when your have the gun by one hand by your side.
Originally Posted by infmphunter
We called it a carrying handle, and in basic/advanced training if you were caught carrying the weapon by the carrying handle, it was pushups and flutter kicks until you wished you weren't born. Good times.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.