Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
New; using Dad's guns >

New; using Dad's guns

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New; using Dad's guns

Old 11-28-2010, 04:12 PM
Spike

Default New; using Dad's guns

Hey folks...new here, and new to the sport. Having a limited budget (married w/ infant), I'm using my dad's "leftovers" that were collecting dust (he hunts with his trusty Winchester .270). So I have two guns, and have heard some positive and negative reviews on each. Are they worth putting some money into to ensure they last a few years? They're both in terrific shape, so my goal is to just spend some short money on new scopes in lieu of new guns. Any and all thoughts would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
  • Winchester Ranger 140 .12 Shotgun
  • Remington Woodsmaster 742 .30-06
Old 11-28-2010, 04:34 PM
Spike

Thanks, RR...I figure spending some dough on scopes will be much cheaper than new guns AND scopes...much appreciated!
Old 11-28-2010, 04:47 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
put the best scope on the remington you can afford and it'll serve you well, just keep it clean. nothing wrong with the shotgun either.RR

Total agreement. just keep em cleaned and properly lubed and they will last YOUR lifetime.
Dan
Old 11-29-2010, 03:32 PM
Spike

So, aside from the normal cleaning that one should do to firearms, considering they have been sitting for a handful of years before I took them out of the gun cabinet, is there a gun "tuneup" that gunsmiths do, by disassembling them and going through the "innards"?
Old 11-29-2010, 04:30 PM
Fork Horn

You can have a gunsmith check and clean em......it may not be necessary.
Dan
Old 11-30-2010, 08:58 AM
Fork Horn

The Remmy is a fine gun. If you scope it, buy the best you can. When you sight it give the barrel time to cool between shots. When they heat up they may wander a bit (not usually a problem when hunting and shooting only 1-3 shots usually, but when target shooting it gets frustrating).
Old 11-30-2010, 03:06 PM
Spike

Thanks folks...yeah, even though I know LITTLE about guns, the Remington looks like a sharp rifle...like the old golf adage says, "if you're not gonna shoot 3-under, look like you're gonna shoot 3-under."
Old 12-12-2010, 11:36 PM
Spike

Clean and oil that 742, put some decent glass on it and go get em.