Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
practiceing for conceal carry >

practiceing for conceal carry

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

practiceing for conceal carry

Old 11-27-2010, 09:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default practiceing for conceal carry

With any thing if not more so practice is key to conceal carry RIGHT.

I have become more then familer with my glock over the last 1 1/2. I can put 13 rounds in a pie plate at 25 yards, though not quickly but good enough.

I normally shoot at long ranges 25 yards, easier to go from 25 to 5 then the other way.

I applied for my CCW permit and think I should do some practice where I holster draw fire once maybe twice, then repeat.

IS that the best idea.

ALso is the fobus holster the best for a glock and what is the diff between the paddle and belt types, which do you like?
Old 11-27-2010, 09:26 PM
Typical Buck

The best practice is to avoid situations where you would need a firearm to protect yourself. Have the proper attitude and don't try to be the law enforcement. Attitude has the potential to defuse or escalate a situation.

It is highly unlikely that you will NEED to protect yourself by shooting at someone 25 yards away. The court system is likely to make an example of people who do this.

Work on quick shots at 5 to 30 feet and everywhere in between. Work on controlling the recoil properly so you can do quick, accurate shots.

Work on drawing and reholstering with an unloaded firearm. Be sure you never sweep any part of your body or anything else you do not want to shoot. Make sure your finger is not on the trigger unless the firearm is on target.

Work on reloading doing magazine changes for a semi-auto and speed loaders for a revolver.

Practice how you would handle potential malfunctions (stovepipe, double feed, failure to feed, failure to eject, failure to fire).

Continue your training. See if there are any classes where they actually have a shoot house as part of the course.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:16 PM
Typical Buck

Having visions of taxi driver reading your post( or whatever the name of the movie was)

You talkin to me?

Hopefully you'll never need to use it,
But best practice comes with time.
First you will always be aware of it and thinking of it.
Then its just a part of you.

Be safe
Old 11-28-2010, 04:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigtim6656
With any thing if not more so practice is key to conceal carry RIGHT.

I have become more then familer with my glock over the last 1 1/2. I can put 13 rounds in a pie plate at 25 yards, though not quickly but good enough.

I normally shoot at long ranges 25 yards, easier to go from 25 to 5 then the other way.

I applied for my CCW permit and think I should do some practice where I holster draw fire once maybe twice, then repeat.

IS that the best idea.

ALso is the fobus holster the best for a glock and what is the diff between the paddle and belt types, which do you like?
A Fobus holster is good for range time and thats about it. Your handgun can be ripped from a Fobus holster in a split second....they will split in half.

A good holster is going to cost you a little bit of money. For Kydex holsters do a google for Comp-tac or Sidearmour....these two companies make some great kydex holsters.

I personally use a Bianchi Carry Lock belt holster for my Glock 27. It is a belt holster with a secondary retention device on it. Go over to glocktalk dot com and you can read all you want about holster types and brands. They also have a classifieds section where you can find all sorts of parts and holsters for your Glock.

I will second what someone said about about your shooting distance. Most shootings occur within 21 feet..... practice close....practice point shooting.....practice clearing your firearm(unloaded) from its holster....practice with your off hand only, strong hand only, and laying on the ground. These are some common scenarios you may run into.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanks guys I know most shootings happen within 20 or so feet, up until when I applied for the permit I did not see carrying the pistol. I will start doing shots at closer ranges, my thoughts were if I was go at 25 yards I would be as good or better at 10 feet.

I would agree it could be hard to argue a 25 yard shooting was a real defense, but it can be, we own some property that is big open, and each building is 25 to 50 yards apart and one is 60 feet long. Not like if someone shoots at you from 20 yards away your going to walk up to them.
VAhunter I will look at those holsters I have no issue with spending what I need to,thats why I bought the glock and not a hipoint
Old 11-28-2010, 01:27 PM
Fork Horn

GET YOUR HEART RATE GOING, Runnin shoot, etc.
Old 11-28-2010, 02:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by dpj1030
GET YOUR HEART RATE GOING, Runnin shoot, etc.
Good point!
Old 11-28-2010, 03:28 PM
Spike

I use a Crossbreed SuperTuck with my Glock 36. It's an incredible IWB, one of the best in my opinion. Practice and reliable gear...two keys to success.

Old 11-29-2010, 05:41 AM
Typical Buck

There's what they call the "21 foot rule" from that magic distance one becomes in danger from an asailant so keep your practice from 30 feet in for that majority of your practice.
The acceptable minimun standard is the abitility to draw and fire to well place shots in 1.5 seconds. Practice until you able to perform that on a consistent basis.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you ever shoot it'd likely be inside of 3 feet. Arm reach. The most dangerous practice there is to do is drawing. Be very careful.

Shooting from the hip is the most valuable practice you can do.

Just keep something in mind. If you draw your weapon in public, even if you were well within your right to do so, it will likely cost you no less than $5k in legal costs. If it's questionable right, $10-$15k. If you illegally drew, it could cost you a ridiculous amount more.

The above doesn't even involve a discharge. Add a public discharge and your in $hits creek, no paddle.

If your life is in danger it's a no brainer. You survive. You'll likely never need to use it. Which is good.

Tom

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.