Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

K Hornet

Old 11-20-2010, 05:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default K Hornet

I am thinking about rechambering my 77/22 Hornet to the K Hornet version. I use the Hornet for varmits that are near the house, but beyond effective .22 LR range. I don't need the extra velocity (I have a .223 and a .22-250) that the K Hornet gives but the case would be easier for reloading. My only concern is any extra noise that the K version would produce. Anyone have any experience with both versions of the Hornet?
Old 11-24-2010, 05:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nobody on here a Hornet guy?
I would bet that if I claimed that the rifle always shoots .2" groups offhand, and that it will be used to make headshots on big bears at 400 yards that a Hornet guy might speak up!
Old 11-24-2010, 06:00 AM
Inactive

BU: I shoot and reload a 22 K Hornet. I use the Martini action, heavy barreled. I have not found the report of the K-Hornet to be any lowder than that of the Hornet.

Accuracy is extrmely good (3/4 min. @ 100 yds) useing 11.0 grns of 4227 combined with a 40grn .224 nosler ballistic tip.
Old 11-26-2010, 04:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

x-mountie,
Thanks for the response. Your reloading data looks like it produces a fairly mild load, which is the result that I want. Are you using a small rifle primer?
Old 11-26-2010, 05:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

BU... See if you can PM or E-mail "Zerexpilot" on here. He's been using a Hornet for years... Killing deer & hogs with it... and I think he's been loading for it too, recently
Old 11-27-2010, 08:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I reload the regular hornet and dont understand how the k hornet is easier, can you explain. I am on about 15 loads on the same hornet case.
lil gun powder will get you the velocity of the k hornet. 14 gr netted me 2920fps in a 45 gr bullet using small pistol primers but i had quite a velocity spread so my next loads will be with small rifle primers to see if it cures that.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by zrexpilot
I reload the regular hornet and dont understand how the k hornet is easier, can you explain. I am on about 15 loads on the same hornet case.
lil gun powder will get you the velocity of the k hornet. 14 gr netted me 2920fps in a 45 gr bullet using small pistol primers but i had quite a velocity spread so my next loads will be with small rifle primers to see if it cures that.
The shoulder on the K Hornet should have a bit better case life, and is reputed to be an aid to accuracy. I neck size my current Hornet, and use small pistol primers. Accuracy is OK - last five groups (five shots) averaged just a bit over 1.3". I have other varmit rifles for longer shots and just don't need any additional velocity. For me the Hornet used mainly to calm varmits (foxes, groundhogs, and crows) that are further than I like to shoot them with a .22LR, while being quiet enough not to startle the neighbors. My only concern is the noise level delta between a Hornet and a K Hornet. I am curious about primers in the K version due to the slightly larger case capacity.