Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
.357 Magnum Single-Action vs. Double Action >

.357 Magnum Single-Action vs. Double Action

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.357 Magnum Single-Action vs. Double Action

Old 11-15-2010, 12:08 PM
Spike

Default .357 Magnum Single-Action vs. Double Action

If you were limited to a .357 Magnum revolver with its purpose primarily being close-range hunting and woods gun protection...and, considering some of the hot, heavy, and hardcast loads that are available from Buffalo Bore, Grizzly Cartridge, and Double-Tap...i.e. http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/cat...roducts_id=337

Of the two which would you choose? And, why?

4" barrel Double-Action
OR
6 1/2" barrel Single-Action

Thanks

Last edited by Southern Shooter; 11-15-2010 at 12:24 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like a 4 5/8" single action for that type of application. A longer barrel is a pain to deal with. The single action (Ruger) is very strong, and can handle hot loads without causing too much wear.
I really like the .45 Colt (aka Long Colt) for my trail gun.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:44 AM
Typical Buck

I've got the exact blackhawk that uncle referred to and that's what I would recommend.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

It depends on which single action and which double action you are looking at. For instance, IMO a S&W revolver is more accurate than a Ruger revolver. So I would go with the S&W and just shoot it in single action mode.

However if you are only going to shoot heavy stout loads then I would look at one of the stronger single action designs. For instance, I also believe the Ruger is better for sustained heavy load firing than the S&W. So how much will you shoot the revolver?? With heavy loads?? If you are going to be shooting a bunch of heavy loads then the Ruger will hold up better than the Smith.

But then you could look at one of the better single actions like the BFR or the Freedom Arms. Or you could buy the stock Ruger and have a little work done to it.

So it really depends on how much you want to spend. And how many heavy loads you will really be shooting in the revolver. Tom.