Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Rifled Choke tube help? >

Rifled Choke tube help?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Rifled Choke tube help?

Old 11-14-2010, 12:15 PM
Fork Horn

Default Rifled Choke tube help?

My son-in-law wants to try out rifled choke tubes in a Remington 870 with a 21” barrel. Any suggestions as to whose choke he should buy and what is the correct ammo to try? He states that where he hunts in Ohio that 50 yards is a long shot. What say you?
Old 11-15-2010, 03:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have no experience with rifled tubes. I would try a mid-velocity sabot like the Federal Fusion at 1600 fps.

If 50 yds is a long shot, truthfully, I'd go with an IC or modified Choke tube and shoot a foster style slug. They are so much cheaper than sabots, and I'm kinda cheap too.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have to agree with Uncle Norby, my gun will shoot a 4" group at 100 yards with Winchester 1 ounce rifled slugs. Those things just flat out kill as good, if not better than any other caliber or bullet out there. They leave a HUGE hole, and if a deer runs there will be tons of blood to follow.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:42 PM
Spike

Briley makes a diffusion choke that I purchased about 8 years ago at a national trapshooting competition. I baught (2) one was for my remington 870, the other for my mossberg 500. Both shoot well with lightfeilds and winchester partition golds. The mossberg also shoots brenneke and winchester rackmaster slugs well but my 870 doesn't like them. But then again my 870 has always been picky, even when i shot with ic and modified cylinders. It only prefered one slug type over all the rest and shot very well with it. The brenneke and rackmaster style slugs have prettymuch the same idea, they are designed to be able to shoot out of a smooth or rifled barrel. I will try to post some picks of both the mossberg rifled choke and the choke for the 870. hope this helps, if I can locate the gentleman's card, I will be glad to email you and send you his info. Both of these chokes have proven well for me in both of my shotguns.
Old 11-25-2010, 10:27 AM
Spike

U suggest you try some old fashioned foster / rifled slugs. I shoot an 11-87 with a rifled choke tube (I bought the gun to hunt turkey). I was going to try sabots but when Winchester foster slugs clover leafed at 50 yards, I decided not to mess with a good thing. In actual use I am comfortable out to 100 yards and have taken a deer at that distance. Besides cheaper ammo means more practice and better shooting.