Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Full barrel for older 870 Wingmaster >

Full barrel for older 870 Wingmaster

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Full barrel for older 870 Wingmaster

Old 11-11-2010, 12:52 PM
Spike

Default Full barrel for older 870 Wingmaster

Hey guys I have a question. Im 20 years old my grandpa just gave me a older 870 wingmaster ( i did a little research and believe its from 1978) and the barrel on there now is an imp. cylinder. I am debating on these 2 things: the gun has never been shot. ever. and it is an absolutly beautiful gun, i am just considering putting it in the safe and just keeping it as is. My other option is i would like to make it a turkey shoot gun and get a new full choke barrel for it. Where could i get that barrel from? The gun is screaming shoot me everytime i see it!
Old 11-12-2010, 04:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

It should be easy to find a barrel for it since 870s are so popular. There may even be barrels that accept choke tubes but you may need to be careful that they will work with a 1978 action. The wingmaster is a nice gun. I'd shoot it.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:51 AM
Typical Buck

my dads got one from the 80s that i use for my slug gun. i kinda felt weird putting a stud in for a sling but it still looks good and its more functional for me
Old 11-12-2010, 11:58 AM
Typical Buck

Any 870 barrel will work on that, even the newer ones chambered for 3" shells. If your gun is for 2 3/4" shells the 3" barrel will work but because of the length limits of the 2 3/4" reciever you will be limited to shooting 2 3/4" shells. Mossberg also makes replacement barrels for the 870. Find a newer barrel that has the RemChoke that way you can change the choke tube to fit what your shooting.
Old 11-13-2010, 05:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

First I don't know if I would shoot it or not.If I get your post correct you are talking about a "Turkey Shoot " gun where you shoot at the target and closest to the X wins? If that is the case and you just have to shoot it I assume it being an older gun it is probally a 2 3/4 gun.The 2 3/4 chambers alsmost always shoot better than the 3" guns with the low brass shells .Try to find a used 30" full 2 3/4 barrel .That should be the best for turkey shoots another option is to have one made.I know guy's who are fanatical about turkey shoots(I used to be).If you don't have many restrictions make one 36" ,back bored with sleeves and have it choked at about .640.This shoots # 9's great but sometimes iffy about #8's drill and tap it for a scope.Some of the best factory guns I have seen shoot were the 2 3/4 rem. 1100's with the 30" full.My best turkey shoot gun is a old win model 37 red letter with the 37 lock up a model 12 chamber and 36 " of ......LOL I call it water pipe.scoped.It has 3 sleeves and backbored I also drill a hole in the barrel just past the end of the forearm on the bottom of the barrel to let off some of the pressure .Just don't get your hands of fingers near the weep hole.