Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Really let down from my new Tikka 270WSM >

Really let down from my new Tikka 270WSM

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Really let down from my new Tikka 270WSM

Old 11-05-2010, 06:07 PM
Fork Horn

Default Really let down from my new Tikka 270WSM

Went out to the range today for the third time and tried to get it to shoot. The best it would do is 2" at 100yds.

I guess you really do get what you pay for. I'll see what Beretta has to say about their 1" guarantee on Monday. Im sure it'll be a whole lot of nothing.

I've ran three types of ammo thru it. The first group measured .6" and after that it went to hell. Hasn't shot under 2 inches after that. I dont know what happened. Everything is tight, and the barrel is clean.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:25 PM
Fork Horn

Were the rest of your groups shot from a hot barrel? If you have any kind of stock to barrel pressure especially as the barrel gets hotter itll throw some bad groups. The first group being cold barrel pressure wouldnt be near as bad. See if you can slide a dollar bill betyween barrel and stock from the front of the fore-end to the recoil lug. Make sure your action screws through the stock are torqued right and one of them isnt causing pressure. After that maybe try another scope.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:04 PM
Fork Horn

The barrel is floated and it has been cold for every group. Not sure why it started throwing 2in groups. The scope is a Leupold Mark 2. I dont think it could be the cause of it.

Everything is nice and snug.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

were all 3 the same grain? perhaps try a few new ones in another grain...

.6" is promising...

wind? bad shooting?
Old 11-09-2010, 04:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Eliminate as many variables as you can. This would include scope and rings. Are you using the factory rings? Finally, get someone else(not saying you can't shoot) to shoot the rifle. FWIW my T3 in 25-06 liked a dirty bore.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:48 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by SGT.H View Post
Went out to the range today for the third time and tried to get it to shoot. The best it would do is 2" at 100yds.

I guess you really do get what you pay for. I'll see what Beretta has to say about their 1" guarantee on Monday. Im sure it'll be a whole lot of nothing.

I've ran three types of ammo thru it. The first group measured .6" and after that it went to hell. Hasn't shot under 2 inches after that. I dont know what happened. Everything is tight, and the barrel is clean.
What is the Barrel twist?

When you say the gun is clean, what did you clean it with? do you clean the gun when you change ammo?
Old 11-11-2010, 11:39 AM
Fork Horn

I've ran three types of ammo thru it. The first group measured .6" and after that it went to hell. Hasn't shot under 2 inches after that.
The problem might be that the barrel isn't as clean as you think. The WSMs will foul and the higher pressures will bake the fouling. I have a T3 in 300 WSM and spent hours scrubbing and patching the bore when working on my loads, and it would still have patches with fouling. Finally got tired of all the scrubbing, and bought Wipe-Out - a foaming bore cleaner. I spray it in the bore, leave it in overnight - doesn't contain ammonia, so it is safe - and patch it out the next day. I have been using Wipe-Out for the last 5 years and highly recommend it.

Your barrel will eventually break-in, and there will be considerably less fouling. Mine shoots extremely well from a clean barrel.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sgt.

This might be the reason;

"...........the barrel is clean."

My guns will not produce great groups until I shoot 3-5 "fouling" shots.

You've got to push all that crap out of there first......................
Old 11-12-2010, 07:36 PM
Fork Horn

As far as cleaning, i use gunslick copper remover with a phospher brush. I let it set a few hours and then patch it out until clean.
I've gotten very little copper out of it when i clean, mostly powder.

The first group i shot was with Winchester Sup. E-Tips. 130gr. It shot .6 inches with 3 bullets. I let it cool off for a good 15 minutes and after that it wont do better than 2 inches with 3 shots.

I've tried Federal Supreme and Winchester Ballistic Silver tips with the same results.

The scope rings are Talley 2-piece steel. The scope is a Leupold Mark2.

I cant imagine its anything to do with the scope or mounts.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:05 AM
Fork Horn

Until the barrel is broken-in, clean between groups. I cleaned the barrel, fired a fouling shot, then a 3 shot group, and clean again. After about 60 rounds, there wasn't much fouling and groups were very consistent.

I cant imagine its anything to do with the scope or mounts.
That's not always a safe assumption as you are assuming something is wrong with the rifle after firing three shots.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.