Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Shooting free hand ? >

Shooting free hand ?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Shooting free hand ?

Old 11-05-2010, 02:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Depends on how big the buck is!

But I'd say 120yrds MAX with a scope. I'm not very good off-hand! I try to get some type of rest every time!

Not too sure about open sights, only the 30-30 is open sights and I don't shoot it much, but when I do shoot it I usually set targets (milk jugs) at 50-75yrds...
Old 11-05-2010, 05:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Under perfect conditions I would go out to 100 yards with a scoped center fire rifle. I would prefer some type of rest at anything over 50 yards and always have something with me.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bigcountry
You know its really good this thread hasn't turned into a BS fest. I am pleasantly surprised.
Me too !

Taken from another website: NAHC
"Posted By holly on 05 Nov 2010 07:35 PM
I allways look for something to brace my self on .THAT is to medical prolems . Ata younger age maybe 150 no more"

Sheridan
I salute you !

A man who understands the real world !!!

We all look for something to brace ourselves on............

Last edited by Sheridan; 11-05-2010 at 08:29 PM.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:57 PM
Typical Buck

I grew up in an area where the wind seems to always be blowing at at least 10 to 15 MPH. If there is very little to no wind, 200 to 250 yards max with iron sights, 300 to 350 yards max scoped - but I always use a shooters sling with a rifle or rifled barrel slug gun. I have never used a bi-pod or shooting stick. My longest shot on a predator was a good 300 yards (one shot). My longest shot on a running deer was 150 to 175 yards (one shot). The hardest thing about shooting in wind is the change in wind speed and direction. If the wind speed and direction are consistent but not windy, the wind does not present a problem.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

100 yards with a scope, I dont shoot iron sights so I really cant say. I shot one running at 135 yards with my ML one day free hand, probably shouldnt have taken that shot but caught the back of his lungs and he didnt go far. I always look for a rest if possible. Back in my younger days a couple of buddies and me raised beagles and did lots of rabbit hunting. We started taking are 22's for rabbits, all of us got to be very good shots for sometime. It is one of those things that if you dont use it you lose it.
Old 11-06-2010, 05:45 PM
Fork Horn

With GOOD iron sights on a handgun, I can take 50yd freehand shots with confidence.
I don't think I could hold a scoped handgun solid enough for shooting much further than that.

With GOOD iron sights on a rifle, I'd take a picture perfect broadside at 100yds.
With a scoped rifle, I'd stretch that to 150yds, maybe 200 if conditions were perfect.

I do a good bit of offhand shooting with my handguns at 50, and my rifles at 100yds and beyond, so I'm comfortable with my guns and shooting like that.

I laser bore my guns, then do a 4-5 shots from the bench to make sure it's "on", then I spend most of my time shooting in simulated hunting conditions from then on out.

A good sling is a life-saver for rifles.

Last edited by Dan480Man; 11-06-2010 at 05:48 PM.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:41 PM
Spike

I've taken deer all the way out to a whopping 110-yards off-hand with a scoped rifle. I can't say anything about open-sights as I don't own any firearms aside from handguns that are open-sighted.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:13 PM
Fork Horn

depending on how im taking the off hand shot, id say i can do about 75 iron sights shooting isosceles style. maybe and this is a big maybe, 175 yards iron sights shooting improved weaver stance with a full harness sling to wrap around both arms and a shooting jacket on my best day. add another 25 yards to those numbers if i have a good set of peeps on the rifle. with a scope id say i could do about the same shooting isosceles. i have to admit though, i have taken some shots i should not have thought of taking while im shooting improved weaver style with a scope. confidence helps some shots but its no bipod or shooting stick.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

BTW - for me, with confidence.

How far do you feel comfortable shooting at deer size game free hand ?

Iron sights ? 50 - 75 yards

Scoped ? 100-125 yards
Old 11-08-2010, 04:44 AM
Typical Buck

Here comes the BS factor!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Most hunting rifles are not that well balanced for off hand shooting. Most hunters think slings are meant for shouldering your rifle while walking. There's a real talent for shooting off hand and most don't practice enough while at the range or plinking to become adapt enough to shoot at game in the field.

Let me say first whenever I can get to a rest, knee, or go to prone that is the common sense thing to do. And above all I'm not one to wound or mane an animal. But........... Shooting off hand is somewhat of a strong point in my shooting skills. Either competition or hunting I practice doing it a lot. And it can be done regularly with accuracy. For one after guiding hunters for 22 years up to 200yds or beyond most hunters are not even as proficient shooting off a rest as I am off hand and that's a true story as sad as it may sound. Remember I said most hunters.

So here's some BS that's not so BS tally's.

Scoped rifle elk 450yds. Lungs one shot.
Open sighted rifle elk 350yds. Heart one shot.
Muzzle loader open sighted Mule deer 150yds. Neck (that's all that was above the terrain)

Like I said previous I practice a lot for silhouette competition and hunting. I have no problem taking an off hand shot. When winter rolls around and it's time for hunting coyotes I prefer to shoot them off hand for more practice.

More hunters should practice off hand shooting. If you can shoot a pepsi can at a 100yds off hand 2 out of 3 shots your ready.

Well balanced rifle and a trigger job is definitely a major factor.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.