Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 366 DGW on Game >

366 DGW on Game

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

366 DGW on Game

Old 07-16-2003, 03:46 AM

Default 366 DGW on Game

Jud wanted me to post these pics of game animals taken so far with the 366 -

Old 07-16-2003, 06:32 AM

Default RE: 366 DGW on Game

Thank you for your help with this Woodseye!!!!
Old 07-16-2003, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great pictures, thanks for posting them. I guess I am going to have to read up on the 366 DGW.
Old 07-16-2003, 10:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Judson, that is an impressive bunch of animals......simply beautiful. That Kudu is something else...next to taking a really big bull elk if I took one anywhere near that size I would be ecstatic.
Old 07-16-2003, 04:17 PM

Thanks for the coments guys that hunt in 2001 was a hunt of a life time. I hope to go back, maby next year. We hunted with Numzaan Safaris and our P.H. was Walter Enslin. These guys spoil you rotten!!! Hunting Africa is not all that expensive anywhere from 275 to 375 a day for hunting an observer is 120 sight seeing runs around 150 per day. You can spend more on a Elk hunting trip. The Kudo was an old bull with a limp and measured 52" , I can not remember the total score but he would make the SCI book if I wanted to put him in.
These animals are some of the animals taken with the .366 and all went down with one shot each. The greatest distance I shot was 220 yards and that was on the male Gemsbok the female was shot at around 175 yards. It is amazing but the hide on Gemsboks is about 1/2" thick on the flanks and over an inch on the back. The male gemsbok was the only animal to stop the 300 grain Swift bullet.
I hit him on the right front shoulder and the bullet should of exited just behind the left. Instead it caught under the hide and traveled all the way down to the hind quarter.
Somthing else intresting about African game is that their lungs are further forward then game over here. If you want center of the lungs on a broad side shot you have to shoot 1/3 up and in line with the front leg.
If any of you would be intrested in going feel free to call me and ask questions, one thing, Africa will change you and I doubt you will only go once.
It may seem strange but I am not rich, just a working stiff and alot of the fun was the saving, planning and the anticipation. When Barb and I got home there was an emptyness in our lives, after three years of waiting, it was all over. I have to go again!!!!!!

Your Friend
Jud

If any of you want to contact Walter he can be reached at; [email protected]
Old 07-16-2003, 06:22 PM
Fork Horn

That' s the kind of animals that the .366 will really shine .. Too bad we only have whitetail and black bears around here .. My cousin went to africa also and said there was nothing like it, he want' s to go back, I will try to go also. He did the same as you and shot plains game .. Great animals....

I received your brochure today, I will read and decide what to do .. Thanks Bill
Old 07-16-2003, 07:14 PM

There is nothing like it!!!! and oh it hurts to say this but you do not need a rifle such as the .366 to do it. What is recomended is .270 at least but .30-06 or larger is good. I needed to test this cartridge so I took the Anti Tank Rifle. You should go and if it means putting off a .366 D.G.W. for a time I will not blame you!!!!!
I love the cartridge but Africa is somthing special, somthing that will change you and you will never forget to your dying day!! I will go back, I have to!!
You will see more game then you have ever seen before. You will maby walk up on White Rhinos like we did, it was safe but made a lasting impression. Go to Kruger Park, spend a few days. When you come back a part of your heart will be left behind, and you will go again. I would recomend Walter Enslin as a P.H. we put two hunts back to back and the second outfitter SUCKED! Good food and lodging but hunting wise and attitude poor.
Even so after 10 days with the lousy group, as we left Joburg to go home my wife cried. I asked why and she said I have never been so home sick before.
I told her we would be home in about 19 hours and she said, " No not that but what we are leaving behind." Believe me, I knew how she felt!!!!!! Africa is the " birth place of man" and at least to us a rebirth of our soul, you will be changed forever!!!
Old 07-18-2003, 04:36 PM
Fork Horn

We have been talking about it but we need to sit down with the outfitter and find out if they can accomate me .. I am paralized from the waist down .. Just the 15 hr flight will be fun with the bathroom deal .. the rest should not be a problem as long as I can shoot from the truck or get close enough that I won' t have to go to far with the chair. It will be years before we can get it set up.

I know what you mean when you say that you don' t need that much gun. My cousin killed all the plains game with the .338 including a giraffe with a single shot except the wilderbeast.
I love having something different , It always makes for good conversation around the fire or at the camp .. It is " overkill" on anything I will probably kill but I don' t think anything can be too dead ..Bill
Old 07-18-2003, 05:22 PM

Over kill is shooting a dead game animal again and again and again, that is over kill!!!! Now to you, I think Walter Enslin can help you out just fine!!!! I had cancer surgery 14 days before my hunt and I also have R.A. . Walter catered to my every need and I had to explane to him that I could do a stalk and if it was too much I would let him know. You would have no problem I think. Walter is a great guy and a naturalist, historian, shooter and hunter rolled into one, he can help you out. You can reach him at [email protected] If you have any problem reaching him let me know. Also if you want to talk about what to bring or anything else call me 207-938-3595.
Old 07-18-2003, 05:34 PM

.338, Sorry I forgot, Walter should be in the States in September or October. If you Email me your phone # I will have him call you and you two can talk. I can also give you his # in South Africa and you can call him there cheeper then calling some places over here. I talked to him for over an hour once and it was less then 25.oo.

Quick Reply: 366 DGW on Game

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.