Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
picky Savage / Anschultz .22 >

picky Savage / Anschultz .22

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

picky Savage / Anschultz .22

Old 10-22-2010, 07:38 PM
Fork Horn

Default picky Savage / Anschultz .22

A couple days ago I bought a used Savage/Anchultz .22, model 164 Sporter, good condition and at a good price, never saw one before, very nice checkering and Monte Carlo cheekpiece---I don't think this is a problem, but it will only chamber Federal .40 grain Lightning ammo. The bolt will not close on CCI, Win Western, Remington Golden or even the Federal copper clad. Has to be the Federal Lightnings, then it works fine. How's that for finicky? I guess it's not a problem as long as I can stock up on the Lightning ammo--it has a Tasco on it which is not one of my favorites, but I'll try it and see what happens--If it shoots as good as it looks, I'll be real pleased--ever hear of this with a .22 before?---------John
Old 10-22-2010, 11:11 PM
Fork Horn

A 22 is like a women picky as he'll but when it finds somethin it likes itl be happy and you'll be happy... I had a ruger 1022 like that only liked federal hp's keep searching still
Old 10-23-2010, 03:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Is it possible that when they barreled this one they might have reamed it to a match chamber? Try some match ammo and see if it works.My Rem. 540 X wont chamber anything well but match ammo.Just a thought.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have the same gun except mine is the 164M which is a 22 mag version. Sweet little rifle.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:30 AM
Fork Horn

Interesting situation! The comment about match ammo made me wonder if, being manufactured in Germany, the chamber tolerance is just a tad tighter than some of the others--Back in the day, my Mossberg, Remington and CZ .22's all shot whatever I fed them without a quiver, but possibly this Anschultz was chambered specifically for a common European .22 round. Hard to say, but I'm hoping that if the chamber is this exact, it may also have a very good barrel and may end up being a real tack driver which would be great cause .22's are fun along with being a very efficient small pest eliminator. ---------John
Old 10-23-2010, 06:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

My Remington 40-XR is the same way. Won't chamber anything but Eley Match or RWS Match. My Hammerli is pretty much the same also, but I can get Remington SubSonics to shoot out of it.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:58 PM
Fork Horn

I had a Remington model 5 that would shoot anything and my CZ likewise. Tonight a friend says try some of his Winchester Western lead nose---no dice, couldn't even get the bolt far enough for the handle to line up with the cutout in the receiver--fill the clip with the Lightnings and they feed perfectly---I just noticed the barrel is free-floated also, this is a very cool little gun---do any of you know if they are still making these?----John