Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Remington: CNBC Special >

Remington: CNBC Special

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Remington: CNBC Special

Old 10-22-2010, 02:20 PM
Fork Horn

ok folks yep I watched it. That being said I can take a survey, tweek it the way I want, only ask the questions I want to ask and have any answer that I'm looking for. By the shows own admission the remington 700 was and maybe is the most popular selling rifle there was with that many out there is it possible a few slipped by quality control sure. Is it possible (the corps doesn't shoot stock 700 folks) that because of messing with the trigger group, dirt getting in the sear and maybe creating problems, sure. Do I trust the 700's I have YOU BETCHA!! The media wants to sell shows, the polititicians want your vote and will do anything to make it happen. I would not completely dismiss this but I would also take it with a big grain of salt (besides if it worries you that much spent the 90 bucks and put a timney on it).
Old 10-22-2010, 03:06 PM
Fork Horn

Of course your keeping yours and I'm definately keeping mine--I have never had any problem with any of my 700's and if I did and a Timney trigger would correct the problem, then they would both get new triggers---no way I'm dumping these guns due to a possible problem I'm not having with mine-----------John
Old 10-22-2010, 04:42 PM
Fork Horn

watch remingtons response, keep in mind it takes awhile http://www.remington700.tv/#/home
Old 10-22-2010, 06:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

The problem with the trigger connector is that the resiliently mounted trigger connector is not bound to the actual trigger. This means that when the trigger is pulled and the gun is fired, a gap is created between the trigger body and the connector. Dirt, debris, dried lubricant and other material then can become lodged in this gap, preventing the trigger connector from returning to a secure and reliable position after the gun is fired. This, in turn, can permit the fire control to malfunction to produce a discharge when the trigger is not pulled.
Every single trigger ever made will create this gap for dirt and debris to get lodged into. This "gap" must be there in order for the gun to fire otherwise the sear would never release.

There is nothing, at all, wrong with the Remington triggers.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/...el-700-trigger
And there we come to the crux of the matter. If the original 700 trigger has a fault, it is that it can be fooled with by anyone who has a small screwdriver. The adjustments are delicate, and if you don’t know how (or know enough) to keep sufficient engagement between the sear and the trigger connector, the rifle can slam fire, or fire when it’s dropped, or fire when the safety is flipped off. The same thing happens when you set the trigger pull lower than 3 pounds; it is not designed to function below that level, and there are some fools who love to take it down to 2 or 2 ½.

Last edited by bigbulls; 10-22-2010 at 06:32 PM.
Old 10-23-2010, 03:26 AM
Fork Horn

Timney makes a fine trigger. It is, however, essentially a copy of the old Remington trigger, with an aluminum housing and jamb nuts instead of adhesive to stake the adjustments.
Old 10-23-2010, 05:48 AM
BTM
Fork Horn

Many of you have probably already received the following from the NRA. It took about half an hour, but I watched Remington's videos at http://www.remington700.tv/ to get their side of the story. I suggest you do also.

In addition to muzzle control, I've also become a believer in the following three principles: (1) "Safeties" aren't always safe, so never trust them. (2) A gun with an empty chamber never killed anyone. and (3) When you're around other hunters/shooters, give them the peace of mind and respect by providing "visual assurance" in the form of an open action. (I've been in hunting camps where guys were sweeping muzzles all over the place with closed actions, which ain't a pleasant experience.)

A while back a rifle of mine (not a 700) that went off accidentally three times --once on a hog hunt when I saw some hogs, jumped out of the truck, and closed the bolt (boom!) and twice at a tactical shoot. In all three instances the muzzle was pointed in a safe direction. (Many thanks to my father who pounded that principle into my head at an early age.) After the first incident I thought maybe I'd somehow touched the trigger without being aware of it, but after two in a row at the tactical shoot, I contacted the manufacturer, who immediately asked me to send the gun back to them. They fixed it free, but I never could get them to tell me what was wrong with it. (One more thing: The rifle was second hand, and it's always possible the original owner had tinkered with it.)

My $0.02.

p.s. An accidental discharge is not the same as a negligent discharge. The aforementioned defective rifle created an accidental discharge. A negligent discharge is caused by operator error. Most so-called "ADs" are really "NDs".
Old 10-23-2010, 05:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

As stated already, the problem is incorrect adjustment of the trigger, I posted a while back, that my firing pin was falling after pushing the safety forward , of course I was smart enough to not put a round in until I corrected it . "bigbulls" told me what I did wrong(one of the screws was backed out too far) and I corrected it, now it works fine. I wouldnt believe CNBC, if they said they remington 700s came in 30-06.
Old 10-23-2010, 07:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

i love my 700's, and model 7's its just i don't want them to fire until i pull the trigger, regardless of where its pointed or how safe i'm being...
Old 10-23-2010, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DeerandbearhoG
As stated already, the problem is incorrect adjustment of the trigger, I posted a while back, that my firing pin was falling after pushing the safety forward , of course I was smart enough to not put a round in until I corrected it . "bigbulls" told me what I did wrong(one of the screws was backed out too far) and I corrected it, now it works fine. I wouldnt believe CNBC, if they said they remington 700s came in 30-06.

Improper trigger adjustment may be the culprit in the majority of the cases however it is not the only factor. Remington itself admits that a very very small percentage(1%) of triggers can be "tricked" into firing.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by VAhuntr
Improper trigger adjustment may be the culprit in the majority of the cases however it is not the only factor. Remington itself admits that a very very small percentage(1%) of triggers can be "tricked" into firing.
With all those 700s out there, Id say thats pretty good odds, all brands have defects in a small percentage of their rifles. I had a savage 116 that had a defective accutrigger, and I bought a tikka once, that I didnt even get to shoot, cause it has a 30-06 bolt face and it was chambered for 300 win mag!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.