Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Is Thompson Center rifles considered cheap made? >

Is Thompson Center rifles considered cheap made?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Is Thompson Center rifles considered cheap made?

Old 10-08-2010, 09:40 AM
Fork Horn

Default Is Thompson Center rifles considered cheap made?

I am looking for a new Deer rifle and looking closely at the TC-Venture..I read alot of guys saying the Savage,Marlin,Mossberg are cheap made... what about the TC Venture? Is this gun considered QUALITY from TC like their Muzzleloaders?
Thanks for any replies
Scott
Old 10-08-2010, 10:00 AM
Spike

The Venture is a great gun. I bought one in .243 a couple months ago. The trigger is user adjustable and crisp with no creep. They're guaranteed to shoot 1 MOA and mine will do that with cheap factory loads. I would highly recommend the gun. I've found them as cheap as $399.99 plus there's also a $50 mail in rebate on them right now. I paid $469 for mine and feel the gun is worth every bit of it. I just wish I would have found the $399.99 deal before I bought mine!!!
Old 10-08-2010, 10:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Steelhead,

Anyone who claims that those manufactures make cheap rifles are trying to defend the idea that they just spent $5,000 on their's.

Most modern rifles shoot near MOA (within 1") with the "right" ammo.

From there, in terms of quality......... "one man's cieling is another man's floor" !!!

The TC Venture might just be the biggest bang for your buck in the world of centerfire rifles right now - IMO.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:12 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by hanks396
The Venture is a great gun. I bought one in .243 a couple months ago. The trigger is user adjustable and crisp with no creep. They're guaranteed to shoot 1 MOA and mine will do that with cheap factory loads. I would highly recommend the gun. I've found them as cheap as $399.99 plus there's also a $50 mail in rebate on them right now. I paid $469 for mine and feel the gun is worth every bit of it. I just wish I would have found the $399.99 deal before I bought mine!!!
thanks for the reply Hanks396!! I really want the Venture in a 7mm-08 for a different cal to shoot since I have the old stand-bys .270 and 30.06!
Old 10-08-2010, 10:16 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Sheridan
Steelhead,

Anyone who claims that those manufactures make cheap rifles are trying to defend the idea that they just spent $5,000 on their's.

Most modern rifles shoot near MOA (within 1") with the "right" ammo.

From there, in terms of quality......... "one man's cieling is another man's floor" !!!

The TC Venture might just be the biggest bang for your buck in the world of centerfire rifles right now - IMO.
Thank you Sheridan for the feedback...sounds like you are right about that $5000 compared to your couple hundred!
Old 10-08-2010, 10:52 AM
Fork Horn

I think a lot of guys (especially the younger crowd) often times confuse "cheaply made" with a gun that simply doesn't have a purty piece of wood on it, or high luster bluing, don't get me wrong, all that stuff is nice, but I honestly don't think it matters much on a gun that is going to get dragged through the brush on a regular basis.

Honestly, it is the kind of snobbery you speak of, which creates a divide within the sport, very much like the middle-class/upper-class divide, with as many folks that are wanting to take away our rights as gun owners and shooters, we best stick together.

Anyway, the T/C's look pretty nice in my experience, I held a couple at my LGS, and I thought it was a lot of gun for the money, I don't think you could go wrong in getting one. As for the Marlin and Savage rifles, I can't say that I have really ever heard anyone complain about them, most who purchase them have been completely satisfied, and I'd be willing to bet that most of the folks who trash them have never even fired one.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Scott TC makes some fine guns.The Venture in 7-08 would be an excellent choice.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:36 AM
Fork Horn

thanks guys I am going to get the TC Venture in 7mm-08
Old 10-09-2010, 10:26 PM
Fork Horn

There soposed to be good I handled one when I was lookin for a 30-06 but I bought a tikka T3 insted because it felt better to me.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

If it was me, I'd get the Marlin XS-7 in 7mm-08, and invest the $100 savings in better glass. I've never heard anyone say anything about the Marlin being "cheaply made." That being said, the T/C looks like a very nice rifle according to the reviews I've read, and I'm a little surprised by the prices being quoted above. I didn't realize the street price was that low.