Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Left Handed Bolt Action. >

Left Handed Bolt Action.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Left Handed Bolt Action.

Old 10-04-2010, 04:00 PM
Fork Horn

Default Left Handed Bolt Action.

So I have been thinking i might like a new rifle .I have been reading and surfing digging up info i can get . First of all there is not much selection for us southpaws . I want a rifle thats acurate , well made, preferably with a nice looking piece of wood.I dont like the feel of plastic ... just doesnt do it for me .I am thinking a 270 winchester.... as i am hunting NY.Caliber is not the debate...I want a nice well shooting rifle .Im not worried about durability "ie damaging the wood" as i take very good care of my guns .I have in the past had a right handed 700 bdl and and older model ruger 77... but they were both right handed inherited rifles.I have heard that ruger has trigger issues but im not opposed to dropping in an aftermarket one. So what other ideas are out there for us southpaws???
Old 10-04-2010, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have been a LH shooter a long time. And I can remember when there were very few choices in LH rifles. IMO there is a god bit of choices in today's market. And all the choices are good. Most are priced in the same area, so which one you like the best should make your decision.

The new Ruger Hawkeye is nice, The Remington CDL, even the Savage model 114. Or the Browning Medallion, or Hunter model. I do not like the Tikka plastic stock rifles, but I do like their walnut stocked rifles.

On most of these rifles the major difference is the magazine. A couple have removable magazines and some don't. Which do you prefer?? Have fun shopping. Tom.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:46 PM
Fork Horn

I was in a gunstore in Kokomo, Indiana today and saw a great looking Remington BDL in 30-06, beautiful wood, appears to be in great shape and it's the left hand version. Bolt handle on the left and cheekpiece on the right-- I will be back in Kokomo on Wednesday and I'll check it out and find out what they are asking for it if you are interested. It would cost you a small shipping charge, but then it might be a very good deal. This particular gunstore has the best prices I've seen anywhere. So hang tight and let me check this one out for you----John
Old 10-05-2010, 09:10 AM
Fork Horn

I'm a lefty also. I've bought and sold WAY too many left handed rifles trying to find the right one for me.....
I wound up with the left hand Remington CDL in .270. Very good out of box accuracy and very nice looking. I had,and sold, a left hand Ruger Hawkeye in .30-06. If I could go back, I would have hung onto it. Rugers are built ike a tank and mine was very accurate.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

All you youngins out there you are pretty lucky today. Back 45 years ago or so the only LH manufacturer was Savage and Weatherby. And us regular guys couldn't afford a Weatherby. Then Remington came out with a LH version of their 700. Later Browning, Tikka, Sako and a couple others.
Be that as it may, I've had Rems, Savage and Brownings in LH configuration. And to be honest, the Savages can't be beat for flat out accuracy, followed by the Brownings and then the Rems. Too bad you hadn't posted this about 4 months ago. I sold my LH 700 BDL in .270 win. That rifle would shoot easily within MOA all day long. And occasionally punch out 1/2 that. My current arsenal of LH bolts include Savages in 30-06 and .223 and two Browning Micro Hunters (7mm-08 and 325WSM). I also have a couple Savage LH rimfires.
Wood - The Brownings are classy. And the 7-08 is my go to rifle simply because it is light and plenty accurate enough. Anything bigger than black bear though and the Savage 06 or Bwng 325WSM gets the nod.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:06 PM
Fork Horn

Check out Stocky's Stocks, they make left handed stocks for right handed bolt action. VERY nice stocks at a great price!
Old 10-10-2010, 05:02 PM
Typical Buck

If you like nice wood and a good shooting rifle with a Left handed bolt, take a look at either a Browning A Bolt or the newer X Bolt.

I have an A Bolt Medallion in 270 Win and for an out of the box rifle, it has a good trigger (not custom trigger great, but good), a very nice stock and is more accurate than I can shoot.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:07 PM
Fork Horn

I have owned all three of the rifles mentioned on this thread that are worthy for discussion. The Remington 700, the Ruger M77 Mark II or Hawkeye and the Browning Medallion. I have owned all three of these rifles at one time or an other and the one that remains in my safe is the Remington 700 BDL in .270. Why the Remmy you ask, it's quite simple really. It fits me better that the other two. All three rifles were capable of sub MOA groups right out of the box but like I said, that Remington fits me like a glove and I wouldn't trade it for anything in this world. I highly recommend that you go somewhere and handle all three guns and see which one fits you the best and buy it. Put some quality optics on her and if there's money to spare have a trigger job done on it. I'm sure that any of these guns will give you a lifetime of service but it must fit you well. Good luck in your search.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Another southpaw here, have to agree the choice is larger then it use to be but we still have to either comprimise or customize it seems. Like bigtimer my fave is the Rem M700 with wood stock, it just fits me so well and feels right. I do currently own savage and browning lher's as well. Have also owned previously weatherby, ruger and winchester in land hand versions.

My advice is shoulder as many as you can, you'll likely widdle down the list with some touchy/feely time.

FWIW I haven't bought a off the shelf rifle in the past number of years that didn't need some trigger tuning. To me its part of the package. The heaviest trigger I've had in recent years out of the box has been my 2 abolts, 7# pull. A new spring, hone and polish provided simply/reasonable relief in both cases getting me to 3-3.5#'s. Which is where I like my big game rifle triggers to be. Savage has the AT but I replaced mine as I just didn't like the bar! You may be different though.

Good Luck

Last edited by skeeter 7MM; 10-13-2010 at 11:22 PM.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:21 AM
Fork Horn

Are you still looking or have you found one? As I mentioned earlier, one of my local gun stores has a Remmy 700 BDL, left hand version, in 30-06 in very good condition and the price was more than reasonable, $450 if I remember right, with scope rings included--if your interested, I'll give you their phone number------This is a consignment gun and they have said it might go for a little less--John