Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

new gun

Old 10-01-2010, 10:56 AM
Fork Horn

Exclamation new gun

i just bought a brand new bolt action Savage .243 with a sinthetic stock with a new Bushnell scope for $379 with tax it cost $411. im wondering if i made a great buy
Old 10-01-2010, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Does it have the accu trigger? If so, you got a great buy. If not, you paid way too much as you can get the Savage with the accu trigger at Walmart with a Simmons scope and a sling for $387-397 depending on the Walmart. Not sure why they vary slightly in price from one store to another, but they do.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Little late to be asking...
Old 10-01-2010, 11:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

One of these days I'm going to get myself a 243. Actually I'd like a 243AI.

Tom
Old 10-01-2010, 12:16 PM
Typical Buck

I say you get a good deal. These guns are accurate. I just picked up one for $400 with a stainless barrel, synthetic. Great gun for weather.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by semi
I say you get a good deal. These guns are accurate. I just picked up one for $400 with a stainless barrel, synthetic. Great gun for weather.
How did you manage that deal? Man I'd love to have a stainless one for $400. Everytime I see them around here they are closer to $600.
Old 10-01-2010, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds about right.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:10 PM
Banned

Where is my friend The Robot.

Never buy a new rifle from Walmart.

Walmart is the dumping ground for all the rejects that the factory produces.

When a retailer tells a manufacturer that they want to buy 10,000 rifles at a time and they want them cheaper then everyone else gets them.
You can bet that when push comes to shove, the rejects gets put in the box and if the customer complains and sends it back - then they will make it right. It's the luck of the draw.
PLUS - Walmart is not a gun shop.
You cannot take the rifle back and have it repaired if there is something wrong with it and they cannot mount rifle scopes on the rifle - other then what they might have come with from the manufacturer.
That would be like buying car parts at a drug store.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Mr. Deer Hunter
Where is my friend The Robot.

Never buy a new rifle from Walmart.

Walmart is the dumping ground for all the rejects that the factory produces.

When a retailer tells a manufacturer that they want to buy 10,000 rifles at a time and they want them cheaper then everyone else gets them.
You can bet that when push comes to shove, the rejects gets put in the box and if the customer complains and sends it back - then they will make it right. It's the luck of the draw.
PLUS - Walmart is not a gun shop.
You cannot take the rifle back and have it repaired if there is something wrong with it and they cannot mount rifle scopes on the rifle - other then what they might have come with from the manufacturer.
That would be like buying car parts at a drug store.
Not this stupid bs again. Walmart does not sell rejects.
I've seen a couple of these Savages in action and they all shot sub moa groups, and were reliable as the ones from a gun shop. What more do you want?

As for mounting scopes, expect to get a crappy job at most gun stores you will have to redo yourself anyway. I've learned to never ever trust anyone else to mount a scope for me. At least not the guys working at gun stores that just want to slap them on as fast as they can and don't care about them being level or anything else.

That being said, you can't take it to Walmart to have it repaired, however, chances are unless you want to pay you won't be having your local gun shop repair it either. Instead you will be sending it back to the manufacturer. You can still do this with the one from Walmart. I'm also going to point out that 98% of the gun shops I've deal with are rude, worthless in customer support, and way way overpriced. I hope they go out of business. I'd buy from Walmart long before I'd ever buy from those gun shops.

Back when I first got into guns I had the same theory you are trying to tell people. I thought that if I ever bought a gun from a gun shop and had an issue, I could always go back to them for support, or at least to ask questions. I quickly learned after paying quite a bit more for a gun there than I could have gotten it at a box store that when I had an issue, I was treated rude, nothing was done, and I was cussed at by the owner. I've honestly gotten better support at Walmart. Now I realize that not all gun shops are like this, but quite a few in my area are, and from what I've read online it doesn't seem like it's any shortage of these type shops. So I wouldn't buy from one just on the thought that you will have good service, because you might not. The above also sells the same guns Walmart sells for about $80-200 more depending on the gun.

Another shop in the area I've never dealt with purchasing a gun, but I've bought other things there and they are friendly, but they are way and I mean way overpriced. I was in there one day and someone they were calling someone to tell them his gun was ready for pickup that he'd brought in because the casing wouldn't come out. They told him it was going to be $50. After they hung up the employees starting taking about it laughing about how they just knocked the case out and spent literally under 30 seconds on it and the owner said to charge him $50. They all thought it was funny. Why the hell would I want to deal with a shop like that? They could charge $10 which would be plenty for 30 seconds of work and everyone would be happy.

Another shop is a bunch of guys that are nice, but don't know what they are doing. The only thing I've had them do service wise as install sling studs and they drilled the stock off center. I asked about one other gun just asking a question about it to make sure it was safe to fire and they told me it was missing several parts. I know 100% for a fact it wasn't missing any parts. These guys are also very very high as in you will pay $42-50 for a box of ammo that would cost you $22 at Walmart.

Last but not least is probably the best gun shop in this area, but they literally have 2-3 long guns on hand and 2-3 pistols on a good day as they mainly only deal in bows. They keep a couple of boxes of ammo on hand, but only a couple. This shop has prices that are a little high, but not too bad, they guys are friendly, but don't seem to work on guns at least that I know of.

So that's basically the gun shops you have to choose from in my area. Why the hell would I support those guys when they want to rip me off? At least Walmart is friendly, and isn't ripping me off? Like I said, maybe it's just my area, but I highly doubt it as I read more reports like this online than I do good ones. Unless you know for 100% fact you will get great service after the sale, I wouldn't even worry about that when buying the gun as the manufacturer is who will most likely service it.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Homer,

Because not all shops are like the ones you described but if Wal-mart gets their way there won't be any other gun shops. No other jobs either. They are an evil corporation. Don't shop there.

Tom

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.