Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Question about .22lr >

Question about .22lr

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Question about .22lr

Old 09-27-2010, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by critterkiller88
i have a mark II as well. very accurate gun. i have killed squirrels at 75 yards a few times. depending on shot placement you can kill whatever you wish. some people hog hunt with them, ive heard of people deer hunting with them as well

Just because you can kill a hog with a .22 it is not recommended. It takes a perfect head shot to kill them. Usually you will just wound them and have them run off. As far as deer I don't know of any state where it is legal to hunt deer with a rimfire. It would work good on small game rabbits, squirrels, coyotes, etc....
Old 09-27-2010, 07:07 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
While I'm sure the young sprout isn't yet capable of shooting a dime at 100yrds, the savage bolt gun IS capable of incredible accuracy. My fiancee has a Mark II BSEV, the high-style cousin to the FV, and we do indeed shoot dimes at 100yrds (Just don't tell uncle sam!). Of course, this is free recoil shooting over a front rest and heel bag with a 24x scope, and we're avid benchrest shooters. Granted, we usually just shoot "things" at the end of a day at the range (green army men, coins, bottle caps, etc), so we're in the groove and have plenty of sighter shots out of the way.

For his first rifle, not likely, but that rifle is capable of it, so maybe someday.

this is the first rifle i purchased myself, i own several shotguns and typically rabbit hunt, however im 25 and i've been shooting for most of it with rifles. 100 yards from a bench with a scope i nail dimes, ill get a video on here sometime.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:58 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by huntard
I just put a scope on it and i can hit a dime sized target from 100 yards every time.
That's pretty darn good shooting. What type of rest are you using when you do this? Remember, when you're hunting there won't be a bench and bench rest, but I carry a monopod with me.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have the BV version.They're very accurate and great for small game but not much for most varmints.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:23 AM
Banned

I'm not going to get into a pissing contest here, but I have owned dozens of rifles.

You can sight a .22 LR to hit a target at 100 yards, but it is going to be off big time - even at 50 yards.
The normal range of a .22 LR is about 40 yards max.
I don't know if it has to do with the parallax on the scope of if it just has to do with the round not being potent enough for any amount of range, but there was always issues with my Marlin .22 rifles.

I had both a semi Marlin and a couple of bolt action Marlins with micro groove barrels.

My opinion is if you wanted to shoot more then 50 yards, you needed to buy a .22 Magnum and not a plain .22 Long Rifle. I have several .22 Magnums and I could probably shoot out to 150 yards with no issues. But the shells are 10 times more expensive.

Instead of getting a brick of 500, you only get a box of 50.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:08 PM
Spike

If were talking just plain jane 22's it would probably be tough to make consistent hits on a dime at 100. Now with my cust 10-22, it could be done and repeated with match ammo.