Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Need a gun for hunting and match competition >

Need a gun for hunting and match competition

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Need a gun for hunting and match competition

Old 09-18-2010, 04:09 PM
Spike

Default Need a gun for hunting and match competition

I am looking for recommendations for a rifle I can use for both deer hunting and match competition. Right now I'm looking at a Winchester Model 70 Flyweight and a Tikka T3-Lite, both in 7mm-08. I'm willing to change calibers and maybe go with a .280 or a 308, if that would expand my options.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Josh
Old 09-18-2010, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hmmm... What kind of "match competion" are you talking about...??..

The two rifles you mention would both be fine deer rifles, but light rifles are not the best choice for most target applications..

Either the 7mm08 or the .308 would work fine for both applications, in appropriate rifles..

The .280 is a fine hunting round ( my all around favorite) but the .280s I have shot, while providing good hunting accuracy, have not given me the gilt-edged accuracy that the 7mm08 has.. I don't own a .308, but its accuracy is legendary... However, I see no advantage of the .308 over the 7mm08 as a deer rifle..

Last edited by Pygmy; 09-18-2010 at 05:30 PM.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:54 PM
Spike

Thanks for the recommendations. I'm looking at targets at 200 yards and below, basically the NRA sporting rifle distances. I like the Remington 700 as well, but am trying to keep from breaking the bank on a gun and scope.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:56 PM
Banned

I think that someone here is dazed and confused.

The best target match rifles makes the poorest examples of a hunting rifle. Many target / match rifles goes over 20 lbs, which would prohibit you from carrying it very far into the woods.

The best rounds for target shooting makes poor examples of a good hunting rifle.

A 50 BMG is a excellent choice for a target / match rifle, but would be useless for white tail deer.

The 300 Weatherby Magnum is a ok deer round but would be terrible for shooting 50 or 100 yards for a sustained period of time.

For more then 50 years, all the accuracy records were held in the military by the good old 30-06 govt. The gun that knocked it off it's throne was none other then the .308 Winchester.

Technically speaking the .300 Winchester Magnum is a excellent choice for both accuracy and hunting. But I would avoid featherweight rifles for bench shooting. Maybe a Model 700 Remington mountain rifle or a model 70 Winchester - pre 64 if you can find one.

The Browning A bolt with boss / .308, is a very good choice for both hunting and target shooting.

Here is a example of one in 30-06 govt.
http://www.browning.com/products/cat...C2%AE-firearms
Old 09-18-2010, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

savage model 12 vlp dbm heavy barrel varmint in 308 or .243
prolly nothing more accurate till you go custom
and even then maybe not

Last edited by zrexpilot; 09-19-2010 at 02:45 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 02:42 PM
Banned

I had a stainless steel Savage model 116 - weather warrior in 7 MM Remington Magnum with muzzle brake and I was shooing inside of a tree stand and lost all my hearing in one ear.
I practically gave the gun away, sight unseen for another rifle - just to get rid of it.

I still have hearing problems to this day - loud ringing in both ears and lot's of infections of the inner and outer ear.

The older Savage Rifles were fairly accurate - but I have my own opinions about them. You are better off with a old Winchester or a Old Remington. Either gun will last you a lifetime and it won't cost much to rebarrel it when it wears out.
Old 09-19-2010, 03:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

You need two rifles.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would save money until you can purchase a quality rifle and scope. Quite often we purchase a quality firearm and run out of money for matching, quality optics. You have defeated the purpose of spending on a top quality, accurate rifle. Set your sights on the rifle and optics you really want than save until you can purchase the package. Don't skimp on mounts. They are as important as a quality scope. You will not be sorry for waiting.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:37 AM
Typical Buck

I like the Remington Senedero that would be as about close as the two would come together in that field. I think you do need two rifles also.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:57 AM
Spike

Unless I missed it, you didn't say how much you want to spend. Two totally different applications call for two totally different guns. Not breaking the bank for a hunting rifle, I'd go with a Weatherby Vanguard, Tikka or Savage in 308, topped with a Nikon Prostaff 3x9-40. For target, I'd go with a Savage BVSS, VLP or LRPV in 223 if you don't handload or 6mm if you do. The scope for this gun should be decent quality, more so than the one for hunting, you should be able to find decent 18-24X optics for less than $400 but I would try to save more $.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.