Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
H&R single shot >

H&R single shot

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

H&R single shot

Old 09-17-2010, 05:45 PM
Fork Horn

Default H&R single shot

Last year I purchased a H&R/NEF partner single shot rifle. I did this with the hopes that my boys could use it. I started with the .223 and recently got a new barrel in 7mm-08. I took it to the range and I have the same problem with both calibers. They are ALL over the page. I shot with a gun vice/rest and could not get more than 1 shot in a 6 in circle.

I am frustrated beyond belief.
Is this because the barrel is so short?
Has anyone else experienced this type of issue?

The range marshall was telling me that he has seen several people come in with these single shots and they all seem to experience the same problem!!! No consistancy.

Help please
Old 09-17-2010, 07:09 PM
Fork Horn

I'd call H&R and tell them i've never seen one that didn't shoot at least 1inch groups. Make sure yor scope rings and bases are tight also I recomend loctite on the base screws.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:21 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Backwoods7
I'd call H&R and tell them i've never seen one that didn't shoot at least 1inch groups. Make sure yor scope rings and bases are tight also I recomend loctite on the base screws.
I'd be suspect to the scope/mounts as well. I use nail polish on all my screws when mounting scopes. Problem followed both barrels, so I'd suspect something else. Or is the scope being taken from one barrel and moved to the other?

I know on some of the T/C Encore's the hinge pin was/is too small and the guns don't lock up right. There are several different companies that sell oversize pins to help correct this problem. Don't think the H&R has the same design, but wonder if something in the forend or how it is attached to the action is lose or possibly not in proper head spacing for the cartridges.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

We have a little .223 H&R and we have shot crows at 200 yards with it. We have never had any problems with accuracy. I would check the scope or mounts.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:22 AM
Spike

I have one in a .444 for primitive weapon season, and I was impressed with the out of the box accuracy with mine. Took 5 shots to sight it in and has never been offsight. I find the small size make it fun to shoot. I actually use it during the regular rifle season for hogs. They don't run far.
I'd call the company as well...
Old 09-22-2010, 06:33 AM
Fork Horn

After reading your replies, I am now suspect of the scope it's self. I am confident that the base and rings were tight. I bought a Simmons Atec when I bought the gun. What are the chances that I got a defective scope? Is there a way to check a scope for problems?
I know alot of people will suggest a "high end scope" but I can't afford one of these.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:26 AM
Fork Horn

The best thing to do at this point is take a scope off of a rifle that does shoot well and mount in on you H&R. When you do recheck the base and mount screws to make sure they are tight. If it improves your precission at the range than its the scope. If not it is either the mounts or the gun. Of course you will have to resight in the rifle you took the scope off of, but that is just an excuse for more time at the range. good luck.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:24 AM
Fork Horn

These guns are like a box of chocolates, ya never know what your gonna get. I had one in .280 and couldn't get it to shoot better than 1.75" groups even with handloads. Others swear by them. For the money if you get a shooter you did well. There are all kinds of tricks to accurize these things and after trying a few of them I just cut my losses and parted ways with it. Good luck.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've had the Partner in .270 for about 10 years, and it still drives tacks. Possibly the indian rather than the arrow.

Like others have said, check the set-up.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:58 AM
Spike

For anything H&R related, you should check out Graybeard Outdoors message boards. They have a great deal of information on these guns and how to make them shoot. I have had lots of luck with all of mine thus far, my 45-70 is the most accurate Handi i have.

Before i went about putting another new scope on it i would read the FAQ and help posts on the GBO. Off the top of my head rest the rifle on the frame just in front of the trigger guard. Also take off the the front stock and shoot it that way, if that makes the gun shoot better then you will need to address that issue.

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php/board,126.0.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.