Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
gettin new 12 ga.   recommedations? >

gettin new 12 ga. recommedations?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

gettin new 12 ga. recommedations?

Old 09-20-2010, 05:43 PM
Spike

I've used both and found the rem 870's action a lot easier to use and I found it toughed out the conditions a lot better. My 500 gummed up when I was in a swamp duck hunting, but my 870 has served me well and never been bad. Another gun I might recommend is a Ithaca Model 37. Also been great for me
Old 09-21-2010, 05:31 PM
Spike

thanks guys i really appreciate all the help. im new to this site and this was one of my first posts and the responses yall gave were great! yall were all really helpful so i appreciate it.
i really like the browning though but had a couple more questions about it(some may be kinda dumb, idk) ive never used a bottom ejection so i was wonderin, can you actually feel the difference between that and a normal side ejection? and does it being a bottom ejection effect the way that it is loaded or the ease of speed when reloading?? also i know the 870 is really easy to field strip and clean which is a plus to me at least. but how easy is it to strip down the browning and clean it?
Old 09-21-2010, 05:58 PM
Spike

Not sure how easy the BPS is to clean but I doubt it's overly complicated Bottom ejection some like it, some hate it, and some have no opinions on it. Personally if I was going to drop 600ish on a shotgun I would probably buy a Super Nova but I love how the gun feels more than anything. If you buy a couple of plug shells used for snapping triggers a shop would probably let you load them and rack them through to get a feel for how bottom ejection is.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:58 PM
Fork Horn

I have had my mossberg 535 for about 2 years now and I have had no complaints. It has worked on turkey, pheasant, quail, ducks, and geese in all sorts of weather conditions. I have never had a failed ejection. I chose it mostly because of the location of the safety and the action release, which comes in especially handy during fast-paced upland hunts. The action may feel loose when you hold it in the store, but trust me when I say that I have never regretted buying this gun!
Old 09-22-2010, 03:18 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by barry13
uncle matt. im more lookin for a waterfowl gun. the one i do end up getttin ill probably buy with a 28" bbl on it so i can do duck and goose. which is also why im lookin at the supermags. VAhuntr, i will definatly check out Gunbroker appreciate the site. lol and at gander their new wingmasters were actually about 100 bucks cheaper than their used wingmasters, just FYI. as far as the bottom ejection like on the Browning i've never used a bottom eject so i really haven't the slightest clue as to if i will hate it or love it. But the Browning itself seems to be a very well made gun. once again Appreciate the help guys.
the old wigmasters are much better guns. my dad's wigmaster which he got around 1980 is silky smooth and very reliable. i use it as a slug gun. i have an old mossberg 500 which i use for everything except deer. its got some scratches and its not that pretty but its reliable and i know it will always go bang. also i try not to abuse guns but i know my 500 could take it
Old 09-22-2010, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

The newer mossbergs have something better about their triggers.Don't know if that's from the factory or replacement.Mossbergs accu-chokes can shoot alternate shot,not just lead.Nice to have factory chokes that do that without additional expense.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:12 AM
Spike

Of those 2 choices, I would chose the Remington. Both will shoot just the same however I feel that the Mossberg slide rattles a bit more. But both guns are fine and for the price that you can get them in a combo for they are fine choices.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:28 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Backwoods7
express and if you wanna pretty gun go wingmaster.
I love my older wingmaster,people comment on it all the time...ok I will stop bragging now...
Old 09-30-2010, 03:35 PM
Fork Horn

First off I think your doing the right thing by taking your time and actually handiling the differant guns in the store. I did the same a a few years ago while looking for a 3.5" pump for duck, goose and turkey. I was almost set on the 870 and then picked up the benelli nova. I payed around 400 for a full camo version back then at Bass Pro. I don't know what they run now. I would take a look at one if you get a chance. The Nova can be completly stripped with no tools. The 835 I had and my dad's 500 are more dificlut to strip. I have had no complants with the nova, and it has held up well to the salt marshes here. The most important thing is to make sure the gun fits and points well for you. I would agree with the majority of the above posts that between your origioinal choices I would get the 870. The BPS felt like a well made firearm, but did not fit me well, much like my 835 (the fit part anyway).