Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Have some general rifle questions >

Have some general rifle questions

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Have some general rifle questions

Old 09-16-2010, 02:13 PM
Spike

Default Have some general rifle questions

So i recently got interested in hunting and im going for coyotes. I typically hunt rabbits so this is a different game for me entirely.

i currently have a full choke single shot 12 gauge shotgun that i use for the rabbits. will this be good for coyotes if i use a 2 point buck shot from about 50 yards?

if not, i'm interested in buying a rifle, but the problem is $$$$$

i've been told that .22's wont really cut it unless you get a head/heart/lung shot from about 50-75 yards.

so basically im looking to find a gun that has the most power, that is no more than 350 at MOST, hopefully lower, but that also has cheaper ammo. because i know .223 ammo is like 20 bucks for 20 rounds and that is a major turn off.

because if i can use the shotgun, then i will and just buy this nice henry H001 .22 ive been looking at getting. and if i do anyone think it can be used on coyotes, by the way im a real accurate shot.
Old 09-16-2010, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

The shotgun will work fine at close ranges. It can prove to be difficult to get that close to a wary yote.

The .223 is as about as cheap of ammo as you will find to kill a coyote at med to longer distances.

Whoever told you a 22lr is a bad choice was correct. I don't care how good of a shot you are.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:08 PM
Spike

but isnt .222 ammo like 20 bucks for 200 rounds.

how much does .223 ammo run?
Old 09-16-2010, 03:13 PM
Fork Horn

I will agree with Colorado. If 223 ammo prices are a turn off then I wouldnt recommend doing much coyote chasing. Under 300 bucks for a rifle, not to mention youll need a good scope, Is gonna leave you hoping that you can find a used gun in that price range. If youre gonna try to use a shotgun youll be calling coyotes and hopin they come in close. There are days where I can only get coyotes to come in to 200 yards. In my opinion you need good camo lots of patience a few calls and a really good rifle to hunt predators.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:16 PM
Spike

So if im okay with the shotgun, what range with a full choke and buck shot should i use, and can i bait em?

if so whats the best way, and should i use a predator call?

and should i go for head or heart?

sorry so many questions i just wanna do this right.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:17 PM
Fork Horn

22lr ammo might be really cheap but .222 or .223 ammo youre not gonna get 200 for 20 bucks. And just because it is cheap doesnt mean affective at ranges usually required to tip over coyotes. Youre not gonna predator hunt without spending money.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:25 PM
Fork Horn

I wouldnt shoot more than 50 yards with a shotgun at coyotes. 3 1/2" coyote and turkey loads have worked for me in the past but at under 40 yards. Further than that and I switch to the rifle. When I call coyotes I pack a rifle, a benelli 12 guage, 4 calls and my shooting sticks. Ive never baited coyotes so good luck with that let me know how it works.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:57 PM
Spike

well my 12 gauge is effective at far range its a super tight choke, i guess i have to put out targets and see what it can do at different distances. i have a feeling that this gun will be deadly at almost 75 yards, i just need to get a scope or something mounted on it, i know that sounds unconventional but its possible i assume.

does anyone know what kind of calls work the best and what i could use to bait it?
Old 09-16-2010, 04:01 PM
Spike

Oh i also have a tree stand that is about 15 feet off the ground and covered real well has only about a 1 foot tall 6 foot long slot to shoot out of. just never used it because im typically hunting rabbits. so this will come in handy.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:06 PM
Spike

http://vimeo.com/14699892

this is the shotgun i use, think there is any way to get a scope mounted on it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.