Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

using the syn stock for storage

Old 09-16-2010, 04:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default using the syn stock for storage

I've got two synthetic stock guns. a tikka t3 and t/c omega. The tikka is a great shooter but I always felt that the balance wasn't the greatest (a little front end heavy). So one day I was looking at it an decided to put a small ziploc bag of pennies in the hollow stock. removed the butt plate and did so. I liked it a lot better.

Now I've taken the pennies out and put some other usable stuff in there...namely several rounds of ammo, a swiss army knife, and a space blanket (kind of like a small emergency kit). keeps the same balance but with utility. I'm thinking of doing the same thing with the t/c. I make sure to pack everything tight enough to keep it all from rattling of course...put some gauze on top before I put the butt plate back on. I'm even thinking about putting a couple of reloaders (plastic cylinders with powder and bullet) in the t/c

Has anyone else ever done this. do you think it's a good idea??
Old 09-16-2010, 06:50 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by hillbillyhunter1
I've got two synthetic stock guns. a tikka t3 and t/c omega. The tikka is a great shooter but I always felt that the balance wasn't the greatest (a little front end heavy). So one day I was looking at it an decided to put a small ziploc bag of pennies in the hollow stock. removed the butt plate and did so. I liked it a lot better.

Now I've taken the pennies out and put some other usable stuff in there...namely several rounds of ammo, a swiss army knife, and a space blanket (kind of like a small emergency kit). keeps the same balance but with utility. I'm thinking of doing the same thing with the t/c. I make sure to pack everything tight enough to keep it all from rattling of course...put some gauze on top before I put the butt plate back on. I'm even thinking about putting a couple of reloaders (plastic cylinders with powder and bullet) in the t/c

Has anyone else ever done this. do you think it's a good idea??

Wonderful idea might have to look into this myself on a couple of my guns. Word of caution though if you ever plan to fly with them out of state don't forget to remove the ammo/powder. The fed's would just go to town on ya. Bullets, knife powder gauze, I mean you'd probably get set up like the shoe bomber or something.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Silver_Wolf
Wonderful idea might have to look into this myself on a couple of my guns. Word of caution though if you ever plan to fly with them out of state don't forget to remove the ammo/powder. The fed's would just go to town on ya. Bullets, knife powder gauze, I mean you'd probably get set up like the shoe bomber or something.
LOL...good point
Old 09-19-2010, 10:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have done similar jobs in hollow synthetic stocks as well as boring a hole into wooden stocks.

Take it a step further, choose a container profile that suits your storage needs, get some "Great Stuff" or other expanding foam product, insert the container, and fill the stock with foam surrounding the container. I profiled a few AR-15 trapdoor buttplates to fit my shotguns, I keep a bore snake and a tube of oil in the stocks to keep them fresh after a day at the range.

I often use the trapdoor buttplates for hunting licenses, tags, pens, lens-pens, etc etc.