Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Tikka T3 vs. TC Icon >

Tikka T3 vs. TC Icon

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Tikka T3 vs. TC Icon

Old 09-15-2010, 05:38 PM
Spike

Default Tikka T3 vs. TC Icon

I've been looking at picking up a gun to add to the collection. Currently own a Savage 25 .223, Weatherby Vanguard Stainless .243, and a Remington 700 SPS .25-06. Guns are used for predator hunting and target shooting. Can't use rifles for deer in Ohio, but if I go out of state then the .243 and .25-06 would be used for whitetails. I have a gift card that needs to be used soon, so I'm looking to pick up a gun I can use for trips for Elk and Moose, as well as Africa for plains game. Will be headed to Africa within the next two years, and also out west for Elk if my buddy can get vacation time. Anyway, I can get either of the above guns for the same price, after the rebate on the Icon. I'd get the Tikka Lite in Stainless, and the Icon would be the Weathershield Model. Was leaning toward a .300 Win Mag, figured that would pretty well cover my needs. Also, where my friend Elk hunts is grizzly country, so I like the idea of a bit more powerful rifle than a .270 or .30-06. I've not shot a Tikka or Icon, but have held them both and like them. The Icon is heavier, but that may help tame recoil, which isn't a bad thing. I can't decide what to buy, please advise!

Last edited by Seaark18; 09-15-2010 at 05:40 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Seaark18
I've been looking at picking up a gun to add to the collection. Currently own a Savage 25 .223, Weatherby Vanguard Stainless .243, and a Remington 700 SPS .25-06. Guns are used for predator hunting and target shooting. Can't use rifles for deer in Ohio, but if I go out of state then the .243 and .25-06 would be used for whitetails. I have a gift card that needs to be used soon, so I'm looking to pick up a gun I can use for trips for Elk and Moose, as well as Africa for plains game. Will be headed to Africa within the next two years, and also out west for Elk if my buddy can get vacation time. Anyway, I can get either of the above guns for the same price, after the rebate on the Icon. I'd get the Tikka Lite in Stainless, and the Icon would be the Weathershield Model. Was leaning toward a .300 Win Mag, figured that would pretty well cover my needs. Also, where my friend Elk hunts is grizzly country, so I like the idea of a bit more powerful rifle than a .270 or .30-06. I've not shot a Tikka or Icon, but have held them both and like them. The Icon is heavier, but that may help tame recoil, which isn't a bad thing. I can't decide what to buy, please advise!
I just purchased an Icon last month and used to have a Tikka T3. Nothing wrong with the T3 but I just wanted to try some different options. The two rifles actually are somewhat similar. Both have excellent user adjustable triggers, both share a unique scope mounting system, both have a 2 position safety, and both use a polymer magazine.

Here are a few things I like about the Icon....the rifle is a little heavy but it balances very well, the short bolt throw is nice, has a two position safety with a bolt lock/unlock lever, the built in scope mounts accept Weaver style rings, and the Hogue stock feels better to me.

The T3 is an excellent rifle and has a very proven track record for accuracy. The Icon is kind of the new kid on the block so to speak. My original Icon had a factory defect, but T/C replaced the rifle with a new one. The new one has functioned perfectly and has been accurate to this point.

In the end it will probably boil down to what feels best in your hands as both rifles are well made.

Last edited by VAhuntr; 09-15-2010 at 06:44 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Better to compare the TC Icon to the Sako A7

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/prod...ucts_id=112300

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/prod...ucts_id=107524
Old 09-15-2010, 11:50 PM
Fork Horn

I've gotta Tikka T3 lite staneless in 30-06 and trust me even in that cal it kicks like a mule. I've had 2 remingtons 2 savaged and a browning A-bolt all in 06 in the past and the tikka has more recoil than em all. But it's more accurate and lighter than any of them that's why I got it and haven't regretted it yet. I recomend it highly but suggest a limbsaver recoil pad.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:09 AM
Fork Horn

Not that I don't like the 300 Win mag, but your talking Africa and Grizzly's I would go with a 338 Win Mag in a heart beat. Tried and true, gives you little larger bullets to play with in some of the larger African animals. 300 WM is gonna top out at 200g while the 338 gets you up to 250g for most factory ammo.

For me Africa is a dream I hope to get to some day but your saying next two years, get a 338 Win Mag and you will be set for Africa except for the the Big Game there but that is a whole other beast.

Tika in 338 WM
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/80571

Ruger in 338 WM the one I have has different molded stock.
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/42486
Old 09-16-2010, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Silver_Wolf
Not that I don't like the 300 Win mag, but your talking Africa and Grizzly's I would go with a 338 Win Mag in a heart beat. Tried and true, gives you little larger bullets to play with in some of the larger African animals. 300 WM is gonna top out at 200g while the 338 gets you up to 250g for most factory ammo.

For me Africa is a dream I hope to get to some day but your saying next two years, get a 338 Win Mag and you will be set for Africa except for the the Big Game there but that is a whole other beast.

Tika in 338 WM
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/80571

Ruger in 338 WM the one I have has different molded stock.
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/42486
The .300 Win Mag is an excellent choice for Africa's plains game. It is a very popular choice, and many PHs will recommend it. I use 180 gr NPs, and the combo has worked well for me in Africa. The .338 Win Mag is a great choice for heavier plains game, but the .300 will do it all just as well. Neither a .300 or .338 is going to be used on Africa's DG.
A .338 is a better choice for large bears or elk in heavy timber. I am a big fan of the .338, but for a "one gun" big game hunter I think the .300 is a bit better.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:52 AM
Spike

Thanks for the input everyone! Especially the info about the T3 recoil. If a .30-06 kicks that hard, a .300 in a T3 would be a real handful. I'd wondered about that with as light as those guns are. Also, with regard to the .338, I'm kind of a gun junkie, and anticipate that at some point I'll be adding a .338 or .325WSM to the collection as well. I think a Model 70 Extreme Weather in .325 would be a dandy gun for Alaska and for the larger African Plains game. If I'm thinking about that gun, should I just skip the .300 altogether and just add a .30-06 to the collection? Otherwise, I think it will be the Icon in .300.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:13 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the input everyone! Especially the info about the T3 recoil. If a .30-06 kicks that hard, a .300 in a T3 would be a real handful. I'd wondered about that with as light as those guns are. Also, with regard to the .338, I'm kind of a gun junkie, and anticipate that at some point I'll be adding a .338 or .325WSM to the collection as well. I think a Model 70 Extreme Weather in .325 would be a dandy gun for Alaska and for the larger African Plains game. If I'm thinking about that gun, should I just skip the .300 altogether and just add a .30-06 to the collection? Otherwise, I think it will be the Icon in .300.

Just from my perspective the 325 is a fine round, but I look at available factory ammo and brass. 338 is widely avail. while 325 I think is gonna be hit and miss. Brass and ammo prices about the same right now. If your not handloading the 338 has a lot more factory ammo options. The 8mm round just never seemed to take a market hold in the states.

If you think recoil is going to be an issue though I would stay out of the magnum market. They recoil, some guns more than others. Weight is going to play a roll as with any of them. I have replaced the recoil pad on my 338 which helped a ton. As a side note, I have never had a problem with recoil in the field but some sand bags and good bench rest help when sighting in the magnums or developing a new load.