Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
How many shots in a row at the range before barrel is too hot? >

How many shots in a row at the range before barrel is too hot?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

How many shots in a row at the range before barrel is too hot?

Old 09-04-2010, 06:06 PM
Fork Horn

Default How many shots in a row at the range before barrel is too hot?

had trouble getting my .300 WSM Browing Abolt to group the other day at the range. It was 90 degrees w/ a slight breeze. my question is how many shots should be shot in a row with out allowing the barrel to cool? how many before cleaning? how long should I wait to let it cool? any advice would be helpful.
Old 09-04-2010, 06:44 PM
bigcountry

Depends on the temp outside and how hot you load is. I don't shoot more than 3-4 rounds before letting it cool I let it cool for 10-20min depending how hot it is. It also depends if I am shooting to work up a load or just bangin.

If a gun has a good barrel, and bedded well, you can shoot as long as you want. But beware, too much hot barrel shooting, and it accelaterates throat wear.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Most of my big game hunting rifles it's 3 shot groups then let it cool. How long. like Bc said depends on the temp, load and rifle.
Old 09-05-2010, 04:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use to own a 7 mag A Bolt it would shoot very tight groups at a 100 yards. You could put a nickle over a five shot group. But, after it shot about 10 times its group would spread. I would clean the barrel on the mag after every group of shooting. The group would then pull itself back together.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have been doing some shooting this summer with a 270 Win and a 308. The temps have been between 90 and 100 each trip. I shoot one shot and let the barrel cool for 2 to 3 minutes.....once a 3 shot group is complete I switch rifles or one of my buddies will do the same with his rifle(s).

I have found this to work good for me and it has produced consistent results with my rifles....which have sporter weight barrels. Must also mention that the bench and the area around it is shaded....so I think this helps both the shooter and the rifle.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:22 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Kirch
had trouble getting my .300 WSM Browing Abolt to group the other day at the range. It was 90 degrees w/ a slight breeze. my question is how many shots should be shot in a row with out allowing the barrel to cool? how many before cleaning? how long should I wait to let it cool? any advice would be helpful.
It probably isn't the barrel, check and try diferent ammo and it may make a big difference.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:34 AM
Banned

70 degrees