Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Question about barrel length? >

Question about barrel length?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Question about barrel length?

Old 08-17-2010, 01:57 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by jeepkid
What cartridge? What is small game to you?
Rabbits, squirrels, and I guess birds. Not sure the cartridge. But I think I'm thinking towards 20 gauge shotgun. Not sure the exact model and even brand yet. Definitely not rushing into this AT ALL.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Shotgun barrel length will be a non issue as far as velocity and accuracy. Pick the one that points good when you shoulder it quick...
Old 08-17-2010, 10:34 PM
Spike

A 300 win becomes a 30-06 that recoils alot harder with a 22 inch barrel.

Not necessarily. With a standard load of 77 grains of RL-22 (both by Alliant and Lyman), 180 grain bullet, a bit over 22" barrel (cut down sporter Springfield rechambered to .300 Win Mag) we averaged ~3090 last weekend (need to check for the exact number). At more normal temps were were hitting the expected ~3055 for .300 Win Mag earlier.

A full 24" barrel would be nice, but going to 22" probably won't drop you down 300+ fps. There are certainly some rounds that are designed for much longer barrel length, but most military/hunting rounds aren't optimized enough that losing an inch or two will destroy your velocity.

That said, I prefer a bit longer and heavier rifles in general. Weight helps you stabilize, and I think a lot of the .30 cals are better with a 24" barrel. I'll take a stable shooter over being slightly faster for a twitch shot any day.

Last edited by Gromky; 08-17-2010 at 10:45 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:32 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by 8mm/06
Short barrels are less likley to be affected by whip and harmonics that can affect POI. I like short barrels in the woods for the lighter weight and manueverability.

Longer barrels let your rifle get the greater velocities that a round can offer.

I'm sure there are more pros and cons but those are the aspects I'm most aware of.

Harmonics will not come into play with Fully Free floated barrels. as for "whip" I don't know what the heck your muttering about.

OP: personally I find a 20" barrel firing sub sonic 22 rimfire ammo will be really quiet and usually allow for multiple shot opportunity's, at the same tree!
For full power LR I think 24" would do it but I am not shure.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:30 AM
Typical Buck

I'm no gun expert by any means but a few items I have come to find out about longer barrels myself. Depending on the bore size of the barrel you can gain substantial velocity with a longer barrel without having a hot load to begin with. Accuracy has always seem to hold the edge with longer barrels especially in larger calibers for me. Something about the more times you spin that bullet inside that barrel or maybe I'm just superstitious.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Switchback_XT
Harmonics will not come into play with Fully Free floated barrels. as for "whip" I don't know what the heck your muttering about.

OP: personally I find a 20" barrel firing sub sonic 22 rimfire ammo will be really quiet and usually allow for multiple shot opportunity's, at the same tree!
For full power LR I think 24" would do it but I am not shure.

Sorry Switchback, didn't mean to mutter . Whip is just another term sometimes used to describe barrel movement. All barrels move or vibrate when fired ... all barrels ... some move more than others. Some move so little that the POI is very consistent and therefore considered a good shooter.

As you state, a firmly seated/bedded stiff action with a free floated and short stiff barrel will have less "whip" or movement. You can call it what you like ... movement, whip, ringing, annular wave, pressure pulse ....That's why so many folks spend a great deal of time finding the right load that mates up well with their barrel.

If you don't like the term whip use your own term. I use it b/c it's the fewest syllables.

Last edited by 8mm/06; 08-22-2010 at 12:35 PM.