Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
How to fix loose forearm on Browning BAR >

How to fix loose forearm on Browning BAR

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

How to fix loose forearm on Browning BAR

Old 08-15-2010, 08:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default How to fix loose forearm on Browning BAR

So I'm starting to think the loose forearm on my early 90's or late 80's Browning BAR might be the issue with my accuracy. Anyway, it's loose on the receiver end where nothing holds it. It's tight where the sling stud holds it, but since that's all that holds it, it's loose on the other end. I was told that it should not be loose at all. I tightened the sling stud as much as I could. I even broke one off it was so tight. Still didn't fix my issue. I bought another forearm off of Gunbroker thinking maybe I crushed the wood on this one from over tightening it and the other forearm still is the same way. It's still loose. Any suggestions?
Old 08-25-2010, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

With this other forearm, I thought it was loose too, but once I tried it, it's fairly tight. I did notice one one side it can move maybe a 1/16th of an inch. Just barely, but it's not like it moves and feels loose like the other one. You can just barely see it move, but it feels solid and tight. Is it normal for these? Or are they super tight and no movement at all and it rock solid?
Old 08-25-2010, 07:17 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
With this other forearm, I thought it was loose too, but once I tried it, it's fairly tight. I did notice one one side it can move maybe a 1/16th of an inch. Just barely, but it's not like it moves and feels loose like the other one. You can just barely see it move, but it feels solid and tight. Is it normal for these? Or are they super tight and no movement at all and it rock solid?
Mine is not rock solid but you can move it back and forth either.

If it was me and it didn't work, I would consider some accraglass and some careful fitting.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, this other one isn't rock solid, but it doesn't really appear to move around either. The original one to this gun moves around quite a bit. I did notice this one does touch the barrel in a couple of spots though, and I don't really want to sand it down like I did the last one. I shot it with some hand loads, but I'm going to try to shoot it with some Federal Fusions which was the only ammo it halfway shot decently before, and see what it does with this forearm.

BTW did you sand yours so it doesn't touch the barrel? Or did you leave it alone?
Old 08-26-2010, 03:56 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
Yeah, this other one isn't rock solid, but it doesn't really appear to move around either. The original one to this gun moves around quite a bit. I did notice this one does touch the barrel in a couple of spots though, and I don't really want to sand it down like I did the last one. I shot it with some hand loads, but I'm going to try to shoot it with some Federal Fusions which was the only ammo it halfway shot decently before, and see what it does with this forearm.

BTW did you sand yours so it doesn't touch the barrel? Or did you leave it alone?
It fits good so I left it alone.