Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Take Care of Your D**n Guns!!!! >

Take Care of Your D**n Guns!!!!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Take Care of Your D**n Guns!!!!

Old 08-12-2010, 02:07 PM
Spike

Default Take Care of Your D**n Guns!!!!

I'm not exactly a stickler about keeping my guns in brand new condition but they do look good still.

I was at the Cabelas in St. Louis and decided to look over some of the used rifles/shotguns since they have so many. Holy Lord, I don't think they had one weapon that wasn't pitted, rusted, banged up, chipped, missing bluing etc. etc on the whole damn rack. I mean it was awful and these guns were still selling for big $$$. I know a Browning BPS 10 gauge is about a $700 shotgun but if they think I'm paying $600 for one that looks like it got dropped out of an airplane and sat in the rain for a day or two they've lost their minds.

Ok I'm done ranting for now but please take care of your weapons.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm surprised. The Cabelas in Michigan has pretty decent condition used guns. They are priced extremely high though.

Tom
Old 08-13-2010, 05:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by statjunk
I'm surprised. The Cabelas in Michigan has pretty decent condition used guns. They are priced extremely high though.

Tom
I don't plan on selling off any of my guns anytime soon and by the time they are I won't care. I will say I have guns that have been used extensively and shot thousands of times in a year that show little wear and tear. Some by design and some I am just dxmn careful with.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:32 AM
Spike

i see lots of guns in poor condition at cabelas and other stores and have always wondered why people would neglect them so after investing so much in them...even more confusing is why someone would buy a used gun in that condition
Old 08-15-2010, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've got mixed feelings with this. I like my guns to look nice, however if I use them they don't stay that nice for long. With the type of hunting I do, wood gets dinged, scratched, and knicked, and blueing gets worn off in spots. I do try to keep them oiled and super clean, but they still get beat up looking even though it's only on the outside. I've come to realize that I buy the guns to hunt with so that I just have to deal with them starting to look like I've used them.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:04 AM
Spike

The normal wear on a rifle or shotgun thats hunted alot is attractive. There's a story behind each little ding or bump, at least thats the way mine are. But there's a big difference between normal use marks and abuse. I know guys that wouldn't think twice about throwing a rifle in the back of a truck or come home from a day of hunting in the rain and toss them in a closet. I take care of my guns.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:57 PM
Fork Horn

I hear you on this one. My *newest* gun is still about 12 years old (my H&K USP 9mm pistol that I bought right after I turned 21) and every single one of them looks as good as new.

I use them and enjoy them, but I also make a point to take care of them
Old 08-23-2010, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

i try and keep my truck looking nice too but rocks hit it, i get door dings in parking lots etc .. sometimes we take care of our guns but STUFF happens
Old 08-23-2010, 02:26 PM
Inactive

My Dad always drilled into methe old saying: Use it, but dont abuse it. I have his Win. Model 12 that was manufactured in 1932 and it still looks good. No scratches on the bluing, but the stock and forearms show years of carefull use. It just goes to show than a gun can be used and still retain it's original character.