Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Help me choose between these 2 rifles... >

Help me choose between these 2 rifles...

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Help me choose between these 2 rifles...

Old 08-14-2010, 05:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by schoolcraft
I was even thinking about the Remington CDL in 7mm. Rem. Mag.
I've had VERY good luck with that caliber on deer and hogs, and by just rebarreling it, I could have a .300 or .338 Win. Mag.

Any thoughts?
These are nice looking rifles that can be turned into great shooters, and would be an ideal action if you ever wanted to have a custom barrel installed.
If you ever want a .338 or larger for a DGR, I would almost certainly buy a CRF rifle like the Hawkeye or M70. If a DGR is not on the menu, a good push feed action like the 700 is probably best.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:45 AM
Fork Horn

It won't ever be a dangerous game rifle.
If that time ever comes, I'm going to want a CRF rifles in .375 or larger.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sheridan
I like synthetic/stainless also, and in fact the only wood I own in a rifle is my Marlin 336.

Out of the two that you mentioned, I prefer the Remington. In my opinion, Sheridan hit the nail on the head when he mentioned the Marlin 336. Now that's a gun that ages with character.
Old 08-14-2010, 01:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would steer clear of the 300 WM since you want to pass this down. You're assuming your kin will be willing to shoot something that stout. I would opt for something between the 270 to the .30-06.

I'm not going to choose one of the rifles in your list but suggest an alternative. How bout a Winchester M70 featherweight.

Tom
Old 08-14-2010, 02:21 PM
Fork Horn

The Model 70 Featherweight is a beautifull rifle....but no longer made in a left handed version.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Then I'd choose the Model 700.

Tom
Old 08-21-2010, 06:03 PM
Spike

Default bdl

buy the bdl rem in 300mag I had one and liked it a lot.Nice finish great shooter in a lefty. Hit a tree instead of the bear so I sold it and bought a 358 leaver for faster fallow up shots,both guns drop deer in their tracks
Old 08-22-2010, 05:49 AM
Spike

My vote is for the Ruger #1. If you look around a bit, you can find one with some real nice wood. It's a classic, time proven, elegant rifle that will last for generations. And don't worry about it being a single shot. With a little practice, it can be reloaded just as fast as you can work a bolt. Mine is the Boddington edition in .375 Ruger, and I love it!

In my opinion, the .300 Win Mag or .300 H&H are both great choices for an all around cartridge.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Though many of us probably think of the No. 1 as "elegant", and as a potential "heirloom", that alone may not be enough to get it into the field with the next generation. Kids don't see things the same way we do. Most teenagers I know see single-shot anythings as a "handicap", as well as what Dad buys you when he didn't have enough money for the RemingChesterAvage.

Rather than buying something with the intent of it becoming an "heirloom", consider that what you already use has that category sewn up, whether it's beat up or not.

Much as I love my No. 1, I think the "heirloom" in my collection is probably the rifle I took my first deer with - a gently worn, well-maintained M600 Remington that still finds its way to the field. It has stories behind it - and that gives it character.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:34 AM
Spike

Ruger #1! In the tried and true '06.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.